Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 02:35 PM

Default KQo 2-4, Flop bluff gone wrong.

Hero is playing 2-4 on Party. has 600 behind in the SB. Villain is in CO with 500 behind. 6 handed.

UTG, UTG+1 fold. Villain raises in CO to 12, Button folds, Hero calls with KQ, Queen of hearts, BB folds. VIllian fairly laggy but has shown down solid hands.

Flop is 489 two hearts. Hero checks, Villian bets 15, Hero raises to 50, Villian calls.

Turn: Kh, my move? If I check here, what should be my intention? If I check/call, river is a non-heart... my move?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: KQo 2-4, Flop bluff gone wrong.

Very interesting. Very difficult to play out of postition.

check, call turn.

if river bricks

check, call (unless your opponent checks behind on the turn. Then bet out).

You have no folding equity betting out the turn so i like giving an agressive oppponent the opportunity to value bet. He very well may have JJ and bet it because he thinks it's good.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:07 PM

How does villain think JJ is good here after hero check raised flop and the fd got there?
I think i lead/cr this turn, i dont like check call much.
If you check, he might check behind and u see a free river. If he bets, i def raise this turn.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does villain think JJ is good here after hero check raised flop and the fd got there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the most obvious hand to put villian on at this point would be A-9 but there are certainly others that he could have. the point is though that aggressive players like to bet when they get checked to

[ QUOTE ]
I think i lead/cr this turn, i dont like check call much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think leading and check raising both have the same problem. Villian does not call with many hands that you beat and he's not folding if he's ahead. If hero's hand is currently best, there are likely very few cards that are going beat him so i don't mind check calling.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:49 PM

bottom line: to make things easier for me, should I not be bluff check-raising the flop against an aggresive oppenant with a two-straight, flush draw out there when I only have 2 pure outs? and when a lot of cards+call would make me vomit?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bottom line: to make things easier for me, should I not be bluff check-raising the flop against an aggresive oppenant with a two-straight, flush draw out there when I only have 2 pure outs? and when a lot of cards+call would make me vomit?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to bluff this flop, i don't see why you don't just lead out.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:53 PM

If I lead/check-raise the turn, wouldnt that leave me with a toguh deicsion if he psuhes since I have the Q hearts? If I lead the turn, and he raises, wouldnt that suck? Or would it not since he already has a made flush, likely an A high flush and it saves me a bet by not having to check-call to the second nuts OOP.

If the river is a heart...half-pot bet?

Are these the flops I should not be check-raise bluffing?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:54 PM

I didnt' lead out because I knew villian would bet here with anything and I thoguh check-raising would gain me more money?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:07 PM

I think cr is the best line here, it gets u something from JJ.
If you call here, he isnt gonna bet/call on river unimproved, just calling here is analogus to giving him a free card, even if its just 2, when the reward is prolly gonna be the same, why take more risk for it. I think i cr here and take it down.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:20 PM

I guess part of my reasoning to check-call the turn was that I didnt put him on an overpair after that flop bet, but when he called my flop bet, I figured his hand was possibly a heart draw. If I put him on a heart draw say 25-40 percent of the time, would it be correct to check-call. Is this a correct time to 1/2 pot block bet the river so I could extract value from a 9, TT-QQ, weaker king, and fold to raise in the vent he does have a flush?