Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Bluffing out a big pair?

ok, villain is same opponent as in the "Turned a set of queens but dont know if like it" thread.

He is a very reasonable player, capable of making big folds and he only reraises preflop with strong hands.

My hand range on this guy after the the preflop reraise is JJ->AA and AK.
After the flop bet I am about 80% sure he doesn't have a king, cause I know he likes to slowplay big hands. Who likes this?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

BB ($55.05)
Hero ($74.55)
MP ($98.75)
Button ($27.05)
SB ($297.53)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $4.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $3.

Flop: ($10.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($20.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, SB calls $10.

River: ($50.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $35</font>.

Final Pot: $85.50
Old 07-12-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Bluffing out a big pair?

I like it.

It's read dependent. If you're gonna make reads, and then not act on them, then why make reads at all? You're pretty much screaming at him that you have AK and want to get paid. Tough for him to call this with QQ or JJ, or AA.

nh
Old 07-12-2005, 01:56 PM

You absolutely cannot put him on that hand range and then go ahead and call the preflop reraise. Why did you do that?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You absolutely cannot put him on that hand range and then go ahead and call the preflop reraise. Why did you do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm. Good point. Fell in love with the postflop play and forgot about the preflop play. BUT, his cards were irrelevant for the play that he made. Still, nh.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said.

I don't have a big problem with the bluff on the river. I'm curious though why you say he doesn't slowplay and he only bet half the pot on the flop....kind of seems slow to me. If I was planning on folding this hand, i'd have folded to the turn raise, not the river bet. If I call that turn, i'm calling the river.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:05 PM

not sure really, but I guess I at the tought I could
win a big pot if I hit something big, like two pair AJ vs AK or a straight, or that I had a big chance of winning if an A flops or bluff him out if the board comes down scary since I have position.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:06 PM

Yes, postflop play is good if he's reasonably sure villain is on AA-JJ/AK and will lay down anything but AK and KK. But preflop is very awful.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:12 PM

72o is a much better hand than AJo to call his raise. There is only one flop you can be confident in: AAJ. When the flop falls AJx, you could be in a world of trouble.

EDIT: I forgot KQT. I still prefer 72o in this spot though.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, postflop play is good if he's reasonably sure villain is on AA-JJ/AK and will lay down anything but AK and KK. But preflop is very awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree post flop is 'ok', PF not so much unless he is so weak tight you are planning on taking the pot from him. AJ on it's own is not going to cut it since it will often be dominated. Something like 78s or 77 would be much better if you want to strictly play your hand.

However, I think the turn raise should be more if you want to have any chance of taking the pot. Make it 20+.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:24 PM

my thought was raising the amount I did is a much better way of representing a big hand then a bigger raise, since it would look like I didnt want to blow him out of the pot.