Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 09:34 AM

Default New York Poker Players To Protest NYPD Raids

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2005/0...otest-raid.htm

New York Poker Players To Protest NYPD Raids
July 12, 2005
Michael Friedman
Poker movie fans are very familiar with Teddy KGB's place. The fictional underground poker club from the movie Rounders was based on a real-life New York City venue, which wasn't that different from the two poker clubs that were raided by the NYPD on May 26.

The New York Players Club and the PlayStation were subject to fully-armored, early-morning NYPD visit that led to the confiscation of $100,000 in cash and the arrest of 39 employees of the clubs.

According to a recent New York Daily News article, the politically-motivated raids occurred after high-profile celebrities Macauly Culkin and Hank Azaria were reported to have spent an evening playing at the Players Club. The illegal club had previously drawn attention from police after being selected by the Village Voice as the "Best place to deal like a gangster."

The raids have done little to stop underground clubs in New York and will be the subject of a protest that will take place on Thursday July 14, at the entrance of One Police Plaza. Led by the Libertarian candidate for Public Advocate Jim Lesczynski, the No Poker, No Peace Penny Poker Tournament will begin at 6 p.m. and will be preceded by a press conference that will address the NYPD's illegal confiscation of the $100,000 from the two clubs.

"The Manhattan District attorney admits the players themselves did nothing illegal, yet the police walked off with $100,000. They claim the money was confiscated for 'evidence'—as if anyone needs evidence that poker is played for money. The police say the have no plans to return the money to the players and that it will eventually become city property. It is not hyperbole to say that is simply armed-robbery by the NYPD," said Lesczynski.

According to NYPD member's of the NYPD special investigation's vice-squad, there is an ongoing investigation about the possible link between the poker clubs and organized crime activities. Police see things quite differently than event protesters. "We don't know where the money (gambling profits) is going," said Lt. Pasquale Morena.

The NYPD's attitude toward the clubs is not dampening the spirits of New York protesters and a good turnout is expected. The No Poker, No Peace tournament on the steps of police headquarters is open to all types players and at penny-ante stakes the tournament is more about proving a point than providing a quick cash.

Lesczynski isn't the only politician to try to tackle the ambiguities of the antiquated poker laws. Earlier this year state Senator John Sabini, a Queen's-based Democrat, introduced a bill that would allow bars and restaurants to sponsor low-stakes games. The bill limits buy-ins to $50 and would cap first-place prizes at $100.

Member's of the NYPD special investigation's vice-squad don't see things the way event protesters do. "We don't know where the money (gambling profits) is going," said Lt. Pasquale Morena.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: New York Poker Players To Protest NYPD Raids

[ QUOTE ]
"We don't know where the money (gambling profits) is going," said Lt. Pasquale Morena.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, this is a authoritarian loser attitude. I guess cops should kick everyone's door down if they're not sure how they might be spending their money.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"We don't know where the money (gambling profits) is going," said Lt. Pasquale Morena.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, this is a authoritarian loser attitude. I guess cops should kick everyone's door down if they're not sure how they might be spending their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's talking about the cardroom rake, not the actual player winnings?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:13 AM

If they took all the money out of the cage at the club.. a good chunk of that money belongs to the players who have chips on the table!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they took all the money out of the cage at the club.. a good chunk of that money belongs to the players who have chips on the table!

[/ QUOTE ]

Such as me, for instance. I had money on the table which is gone.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 AM

I used to walk by a NYPD police station on the way to the gym every night. One time i overheard them (between 5 and 8 cops) talking about who they were betting on for the monday night football game.

The hypocrisy is overwhelming.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think he's talking about the cardroom rake, not the actual player winnings?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...obviously. The guy to which you responded understood that as well. His point is that "not knowing where profits go" is not a justification for preventing profiteering.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:32 PM

this is a spinoff of the story that is extremely biased on the side of the player.

the money held by the player's club is illegal money, so the police are allowed to confiscate it. there is no contract between the player's club and its players that constitutes the chips in play as owed money.

while its obvious, or should be obvious to the cops that the chips are worth money and they are essentially taking money from innocent players, they have no way to prove that the money belongs to them and according to the law the players do not own anything.

confiscating the players money sends a message to the players that if they pick up and move to the next club that they are in risk of losing their buying there as well. i find it highly unlikely that the police on scene are pocketing money for themselves. we all know this isn't the case.

as a poker player and a liberal citizen, i obviously have opinions on the matter that are not related to what ive written in this post. however, i felt it necessary to point out the flawed thinking in a clearly biased article by this website.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to walk by a NYPD police station on the way to the gym every night. One time i overheard them (between 5 and 8 cops) talking about who they were betting on for the monday night football game.

The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

[/ QUOTE ]

The indivdual police didnt choose to bust the clubs, this as stated was a political move as publicity for the illegal clubs grew something had to happen.

Many of these clubs need to realize that being so open about there locations, and haveing high profile players play at there club is risky, and should be avoided. If it gets out the police, and politicans will get [censored] for it and thus respond in kind.

I know many police officers who are infavor of the underground clubs. They dont make the laws, the just enforce them there not being hypocrits, just doing there job.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Its a battle they'll never win poker is too hot right now. Dam let us play....