Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2003, 05:56 PM

Default Cooke\'s, \"Play to Live or Live to Play \" article

Mr Cooke's recent article in Card Player (Feb 14 issue) about playing poker as a profession, is excellent. In my opinion, if you are thinking about "turning pro" you need to clip out this article, save it, and study what he has to say. Many young players do not consider the full consequences of such impulsive life decisions as "turning pro". Cooke's article helps put things in perspective.

-Zeno

Old 02-16-2003, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Cooke\'s, \"Play to Live or Live to Play \" article

I also think this was an excellent article. LGPG, Babe [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 10:21 AM

[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] babe, article did not have enuf emphasis on fashion...gl [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 10:26 AM

Hi scalf, Yes, Roy did omit this important aspect of a poker career [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] LGPG, Babe [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 05:28 PM

I think I'm gonna have to work on that if I do move to Vegas... maybe the Babe can help me out. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 06:38 PM

Hey Major- you are not alone in the "LG help wanted" category. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I have been trying to get Dynasty out of shorts for almost a year now. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Last week, he was actually wearing LONG pants [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] However, this may have had more to do with the weather (it was actually chilly AND raining in Vegas) than with the Babe's suggestions to LG. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] LGPG and hope to see you soon, kiddo [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 08:16 PM

Shorts when it's warm. Sweats when it's not. T-shirts all year long. Comfort is a about 25x more important to me than appearance.

PG- that's all that matters.

Old 02-16-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Slogan change?

For Dynasty, it's PGSS (plays good in shorts or sweats). [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] See you tomorrow, hopefully in long pants. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] LGPG, Babe [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Slogan change?

Should be LBPG. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2003, 10:46 PM

Hi Zeno:

One aspect of the article that I didn't like was his statement that he had the equivalent of a master's degree in poker because of all the work on the game that he has done. While I agree that you always need to work on your poker game, it's nothing compared to getting an advanced degree in a tough technical field at a good school. For example, to prepare for my oral examination, I did nothing but study for a minimum of 12 hours per day for almost three straight weeks. I believe that's the hardest I have ever worked, and in all my effort on poker/gambling, I have never done anything to compare to that. Plus the level of difficulty can't compare either.

Best wishes,
Mason