Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 11:24 PM

Default DLP vs LCD TV

My mom's bugging me to help her buy a new t.v., but i know jackall about technology and thats where you guys come in. She's looking to buy something around 46 inches and is perticularly interested in either an LCD or DPL (anyone know the difference?)So any help or advice regarding buying a t.v. in the price range would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Re: DLP vs LCD TV

DLP is projection? They don't look as good as LCD or plasma.

It would help if you say what the price range is.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DLP is projection? They don't look as good as LCD or plasma.

It would help if you say what the price range is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right DLP looks a lot better. We are talking picture quality right and not how it looks when turned off? A good plasma and DLP are about the same but LCD is still has with issues with good blacks in dark rooms. In a lit room LCDs look fine unless you are super picky. One more generation will probably get LCD's (both rear projection and direct view) really close to the others.

If you really care go to avforums and read some threads. Just remember some of those guys are insanely picky and willing to pay 20K for tvs.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:07 AM

Here are a couple of thoughs.

1. DLP is cheaper than LCD.
2. DLP is projection based (think LCD projector).
3. Both can suffer from burn-in, though I believe LCD is much more vulnerable to screen burn.
4. LCD is significantly more expensive but has more clarity and brightness.

You might also look at plasma if you live at low altitude (I live in Denver, so plasma is a non-starter). If money was no object, I'd buy a Sony Wega LCD. Assuming your mom doesn't have 5k to drop on a TV though, I'd spend $2k and look at a 42-44" Sony DLP.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are a couple of thoughs.

1. DLP is cheaper than LCD.
2. DLP is projection based (think LCD projector).
3. Both can suffer from burn-in, though I believe LCD is much more vulnerable to screen burn.
4. LCD is significantly more expensive but has more clarity and brightness.

You might also look at plasma if you live at low altitude (I live in Denver, so plasma is a non-starter). If money was no object, I'd buy a Sony Wega LCD. Assuming your mom doesn't have 5k to drop on a TV though, I'd spend $2k and look at a 42-44" Sony DLP.

[/ QUOTE ]

LCD can be projection also. NOt clear what the OP meant by LCD. Non projection LCD is pricey in the 45inch range. Neither LCD or DLP really suffer from burn in. You can do it but it is harder than a CRT. Early plasmas burned in real easy but the current ones are pretty good. You can burn them in but you have to try (run at full brightness and leave something on the screen for days). One thing to remember with rear projection LCD or DLP is the bulbs burn out (I think it is like 2-5K hours) and are pretty pricey (300+).

I don't think sony has any DLPs but they do have some pretty decent projection LCDs (the grand wega line)
Old 07-12-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think sony has any DLPs but they do have some pretty decent projection LCDs (the grand wega line)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. You're correct. However, when I think of LCD I tend to think of a flat panel as opposed to the shallow projection. I tend to lump LCD Projection and DLP into the same category since they cost/look about the same.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:52 AM

CNet does a pretty good job at reviewing the different TVs out there. I just purchased the Panasonic TH-42PX50U in that picture. I did most of my research online and then ending up going to Circuit City to take a look at their display. Most of the Plasmas have come down in price by about 40% the past year.

Unfortunately, I don't own it yet. I am moving from MN to AZ on Aug 5th. I special ordered it to a store in Chandler AZ where I can pick it up the day I get down there.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:00 AM

You can try this place if u are thinking about a plasma. There a pretty nice 42' one there for under 2k.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:57 AM

I've owned both a DLP (Samsung HLR5087W) and projection LCD (Sony KDF60XS955). The DLP looked much better than the LCD, but like others, I noticed rainbows when moving my eyes across the screen and it drove me nuts. I eventually returned it and bought the Sony LCD.

Even if you specifically don't notice the problem, it sucks to think about other people coming over to your house and being totally preoccupied with it, or even getting headaches. The difference in picture quality between the 2 technologies might seem like a big deal when staring at 2 sets side-by-side, but after you get it home it really doesn't matter.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:39 AM

DLP doesn't burn in. Please recheck your facts.