Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 09:37 PM

Default How\'d I play those overcards?

Villain (mp3) had been loose and aggressive postflop through 40 or so hands. I had no other notes on him other than "Lag?" His numbers were 47/7/4.0.
BB was VERY passive. Having not bet or raised an overpair (QQ) on an earlier hand. He was also playing about half his hands with no raises at all over about 40 hands.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds.

Since BB checked, I figured I had a shot of losing him.

River: (6.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

With only one loose player who had played reasonably aggressive with his hands, I figured I might have him beat here. Am I only getting called by hands that beat me, so a check/call is in order?

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 07-11-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: How\'d I play those overcards?

He's calling with any pair. If you check you might induce a bluff from a worse hand but I'm not sure you're good enough to call. Check calling is still better than betting, though.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 PM

I would say check calling is better than betting the river. There's a good chance that MP3 is calling down with any pair. Would check-folding the river be out of line in this situation?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:08 PM

check the river, what is he calling with that you beat? This is standard.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I only getting called by hands that beat me, so a check/call is in order?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, check/call vs. this opponent is much better. In fact check/call vs. a lot of players, and check/fold the really passive players. Betting UI AK on the river is usually fruitless. You're better off betting an UI QJ because you might actually get better hands to fold.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:11 PM

If you think he is calling down with any pair, fold the turn. You do not have odds to suck out.

The question here is if both of these clowns can find a fold with bottom pair or not. Typically at this level I'm not getting much past the turn (or even the flop) without additional draws or a big honkin pot.

If you for whatever reason got to the river, check and then either call or fold, depending on the opponent (mainly if you think someone may take a stab at the pot with air).

-K