Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Just need to make sure

This question might seem pretty basic but...

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)
Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, MP3 reraises, <font color="red">Hero ?</font>

What would u do in
1) a table with no reads
2) a loose passive table
3) a tight aggressive table
Old 07-10-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Just need to make sure

I don't have a big problem with folding in all three of these scenarios.

Make the table LAGgy, though, and I'm capping.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:04 PM

caperooni.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be inclined to cap in all three scenarios. Maybe if a tight player 3 bets after a cold-call, sure, I can find a fold there.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:15 PM

cap, cap, cap
Old 07-10-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be inclined to cap in all three scenarios. Maybe if a tight player 3 bets after a cold-call, sure, I can find a fold there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take preflop 3-bets at 3/6 full pretty seriously. None of the given scenarios change that for me.

Anyway, though, I take the gap concept further than some people. But AKo becomes a pretty crappy hand if AA is out there, and I don't want to play it much if KK is out there either, and the 3-bet makes me worried about both of those things.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:16 PM

I'm capping if either of them are less than tight, aggressive, and tricky.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take preflop 3-bets at 3/6 full pretty seriously. None of the given scenarios change that for me.

Anyway, though, I take the gap concept further than some people. But AKo becomes a pretty crappy hand if AA is out there, and I don't want to play it much if KK is out there either, and the 3-bet makes me worried about both of those things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disagree. I may toss against EP action I respect, but usually not when MP1 opens the pot. Intuitively, the rare cases of AA/KK should be more than offset by the times you are in a dominating position against one or more players. Expected equity is potentially huge here, though reads are crucial. For instance, if the reraiser has a range of 88+/AQo+/AJs+ or better, the decision to play is more marginal (though good postflop play adds much value). Open this up and you must play.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disagree. I may toss against EP action I respect, but definitely not when MP1 opens the pot. Intuitively, the rare cases of AA/KK should be more than offset by the times you are in a dominating position against one or more players. Expected equity is huge here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the last time I mucked AKo preflop.

Still, when it's three to me at 3/6 full, that's a time when I'd start thinking about it.

In my experience, that 3-bet will very, very often mean a hand that's a little better than, much better than, or exactly equal to yours.

If I knew the 3-bet was just QQ, JJ, or TT, then, yes, I'd want to play in this multiway pot. But some 3/6 players won't 3-bet the TT (some won't with JJ either), and there is also still the original raiser to wonder about (though I'm putting him on a wider range).

Anyway, this isn't really something I feel strongly about, and I capped the last two times I do remember being presented with this situation.

But I don't think there's any shame in folding AKo preflop when it's 3 bets to you at 3/6 full. And if capping is better (and I'm not convinced it is), I don't think it is by very much.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:03 PM

Nick, I previously edited my post to take a more moderate stance. I didn't realize how much trouble AKo can get into in this specific situation assuming:

1) 3-bettor has a premium hand (i.e. 88+/AQo+/AJs+ or tighter)
2) cold-caller can hold hands like JTs+/KJs+/55+/etc. in addition to MP1's raising range.