Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 08:42 PM

Default The \"Doyle Brunson System\"

OK I read the book, I understand the whole "win little pots frequently so you can gamble with big draws" thing.

And I see a lot of people here talking about this.

My question is: does this make any sense whatsoever? He's basically saying that he plays +EV poker and chips away at a ton of little pots... then moves in huge as a likely 2:1 underdog with something like a flush draw or open-ended straight draw. And this somehow makes sense because "it's not his money", it's money he won from other people in little pots.

Two possible explanations come to mind: (1) gambling with draws like this allows him to get big action with his legitimate big made hands, and (2) he has a TON of fold equity. Do you guys really think this is the case? I find it hard to believe that consciously throwing a ton of money into a pot as a 2:1 dog is, in the long run, +EV. Curious to hear some thoughts here.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: The \"Doyle Brunson System\"

Otherwise known as being a LAG (loose-aggressive). It is very difficult to learn how to be a LAG and a lot of players have gone broke trying. People with great natural instincts and knowledge of the game can accomplish this though and they are the ones making the most money.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:16 PM

do the math. you'll find out what looks like an anecdotally proven wives tale is actually massively solid with respect to EV/game theory. Try doing EV calculations on pushing with draws 85% of the time and sets the other 15%. now calculate folding equity. surprising, no?

fim
Old 07-10-2005, 11:04 PM

basically they have to have a monster to call you correctly, youll never be as huge a dog as they are on average with top pair or overpairs, even two pair isnt really a solid proposition against this system
Old 07-11-2005, 02:01 AM

Just curious fim, at what buyin level do you think pushing with draws has enough fold equity to be profitable?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:08 AM

I tried this method for awhile, then I was constantly getting called by top pair (as I become known for my over aggression). So I decided to stop this madness. I think this method works best if you're playing vs. scared money (people out of their comfort zones), meaning they are playing for too much money or don't play poker much/have good skills.