Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 05:20 PM

Default JTo in BB, easy flop call?

Yes I'm posting this because I would've won and folded, but I'd still like to hear opinions on a flop call here. Is this a really easy call closing the action? Easy fold w/o the 9? Without the J of spades?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, Hero
Old 07-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: JTo in BB, easy flop call?

Well, as I see it, you have perhaps one out to a backdoor flush which might win, 1 out to a backdoor straight which might win and 6 outs to overcards. So that's 8 total outs, which I think you have to discount because someone might have a 6, making your JT outs worthless and because the backdoor flush might not be a winning hand, since you hold the J and another player could have the Q, K or A. So, would it be reasonable to estimate your actual outs at 6, instead of 8? With 6 outs, 6 cards win for you and 42 cards lose, so odds are 1/7. I'm interested in knowing whether I did this analysis correctly, so I'd appreciate input from a more experienced poster. If these odds are figured correctly and considering that you are likely to be paid off if you hit, a flop call would have been +EV. Having said all that, I'd often fold it too.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:39 PM

I would call.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:35 PM

Call. See what small blind does. Can't give you a further game plan without knowing sb's action. UTG may be betting a flush draw, a straight draw, overcards, a pocket pair, a 9, a 6, or even just ace high to try to take the pot now since no one seems interested in it.

Also, villain may check the turn allowing you a free card. You may not have specifically the correct odds to draw to one of your hands, but that is assuming you're already behind, which may not be the case. Allow yourself to outplay the opposition by taking off a card.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:53 PM

Just curious what others think. If he calls this flop, would this be a good time to semi-bluff check raise the turn if say an 8 or Q hit? UTG would have to worry about the 3rd 6.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:13 PM

Let's see: 6 SB pot, two live opponents, worst position, clearly not the current best hand, good backdoor straight draw, trashy backdoor flush draw, two terrible overcards (possible trips, dubious kickers, higher overcards, possible OESD, possible flush).

Why would I possibly want to call this?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see: 6 SB pot, two live opponents, worst position, clearly not the current best hand, good backdoor straight draw, trashy backdoor flush draw, two terrible overcards (possible trips, dubious kickers, higher overcards, possible OESD, possible flush).

Why would I possibly want to call this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Small pot. Crappy overcards and the button calling in between. I toss it.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:26 AM

easy fold.

Krishan