Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Should I Be Betting Nut Low Draws For Value???

<font color="red">I always bet a nut-low draw for value on the flop because I am assuming that I am pushing my pot equity edge. Am I correct to do so? Or should I only bet nut-low draws for value under certain circumstances? Usually if I miss on the turn then I go for the check-call. Also, if someone has bet in front of me then I just call (NOT raise), it's just that I bet it for value when I am in first position or if it is checked to me. Here's an example.</font>

Party Poker 0.5/1 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
Old 07-09-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Should I Be Betting Nut Low Draws For Value???

You are always right to bet if you get more callers than the number of callers you would need to make the bet break-even for your draw. It's like free money when you get more callers than you need.

In this case you were especially right to bet for another reason: you could promote your pair of fours into a potential high hand. If you can get hands like KKxx or QQxx to fold, all your cards become outs to scoop, if you aren't best for high already against the lows left in the hand.

This table was way too passive to do anything but bet, but I suggest you sometimes toss in another play on a different table with this hand. If you check, hands like A5 and the like might think you got A2 counterfeited at least once for low or have high only. Since your hand has very little high value without a very lucky turn and river, you want the low hands you dominate to tag along for turn and river bets and raises. If you usually bet for value and to promo with this hand, then you can get some extra action from 2nd and 3rd best low hands later with a check on this flop.

Ideally you would do the value/promo bet when weak players are in the hand, then toss in check when the players who pay attention and have starting hand requirements are your opponents. This play could win you some extra bets you would never get out of the better players if you bet the flop, because it would be easy for them to put you on A3 as a potential hand and muck their A5 if you continue to bet on the more-expensive turn and river.

For this particular table-type, with 50+% seeing flops and playing passively, your bet was ideal. And on this type of table there is never a reason to vary from the ideal. Your runner-runner full with nut low is exactly what you're building the pot for against these no-starting-hand-requirements calling stations, who always catch part of the flop and/or have a Holdem mentality.

Nice catch and nice play.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Should I Be Betting Nut Low Draws For Value???

It depends, but in general yes bet for value with 4 or more opponents especially if they are bad or if you have some high chances even if weak.