Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 10:26 AM

Default 10/20 6max: river fold - A9o

Villain is 33/1.9/1.3 over 56 hands.

When this hand went down I thought he was a TAG. How's the play if he is a TAG? How is it if he's unknown?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $15.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

Flop: (6 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB

Surf
Old 07-09-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: 10/20 6max: river fold - A9o

I typically fire again on the turn heads up if

1) I can definitely call a checkraise, or
2) I can definitely fold to a raise

This fits 2) in my opinion so I would bet the turn and check behind on the river. I really don't like to concede with a pair.

I might check behind on the turn an call a river bet with AT. Any thoughts?

Cartman
Old 07-09-2005, 12:31 PM

Nah, if you're checking that turn, you're calling the river...even with the 8. I'm betting the turn.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:44 PM

A free river card is better when you're drawing and looking to catch something and fold UI. A free showdown is handy when you have a small holding that isn't likely to improve but may be best.

This situation is made for the latter. Bet/fold turn, check behind river.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Bet the turn, check behind on the river when the 8 falls.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I typically fire again on the turn heads up if

1) I can definitely call a checkraise, or
2) I can definitely fold to a raise

This fits 2) in my opinion so I would bet the turn and check behind on the river. I really don't like to concede with a pair.

I might check behind on the turn an call a river bet with AT. Any thoughts?

Cartman

[/ QUOTE ]

My thought is this is really nice analysis. I will caution that reads on opponents can override this. There are some people who you need to bet every turn regardless of your hand and some that you need to check many more of your hands on the turn.

Krishan
Old 07-09-2005, 02:01 PM

When I played this hand I thought villain was a TAG, all I saw were 20/20 when I looked at his stats, I didn't realize until after the hand that it was over ~5 hands, and thus nearly useless.

Given that I thought he was a TAG:

When he calls the flop I figure I'm against a pair, a J, a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] draw, maybe A-high with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I check behind on the turn to avoid being cr-d by a worse hand (lone big [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or a stone cold bluff) and encourage worse hands to bet the river. I'm expecting to snap off bluffs from a J.

When the 8 hits I'm behind to his str8 draw hands, I've already lost to most flush draw hands that whiffed the turn c/r, and I'm behind to any flopped pair except a worse 8. Will I snap off a bluff from a lone [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or small PP that was floating? Maybe. I didn't think so at the time.

Given that he's looser, and fishier, I think I'd call the river bet because so many of these players will bet at the river when I check behind on the turn. I don't know whether I'd prefer to have gone back and bet the turn or not...I like to get to showdown with hands, and I have been generally avoiding bet-fold lines when I've got mid pair or better.

Surf