Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Monster draw ... is semi-bluffing possible?

2/5 NL live

Hero has A4 hearts in SB, 1040 behind

1 MP limper, cut-off raises to 40, button calls, hero calls, MP calls

Flop: 225, 2 hearts, pot=165

The preflop raiser is an experienced, but not creative player. His hand range for making this big a raise with only 1 limper ahead is rather small and standard AA-99, AK, AQ.
He will 100% lead out with a pocket pair if checked to him. Uncertain whether he will bet out at such a board with AK.

The other two callers play fairly straight forward games and would not call with any 2 other than A2s, and even that is unlikely.

What is the plan here, hero has 1000 left, raiser has hero covered?

I had trouble with this one. If hero bets out, villain will most likely put hero on a lower pocket pair 88, etc. and make a big raise if he holds a better hand. Check raising will probably not slow the raiser down as he will have trouble believing hero has a 2. check-calling is unlikely to result in a big win as raiser will hit the brakes if a flush turns.

Opinions? Some wild ideas ... check fold? check-raise all in?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Monster draw ... is semi-bluffing possible?

Fold preflop
Old 07-08-2005, 04:48 PM

awful call preflop.

Given that you're here, figure out some way to make raiser believe you have a 2. If you think he won't fold a high pocket too often, then just fold on the flop. Since you have the crappiest postion, I'd check to him then probably call and see what the people behind you do. Then you can CR or lead out turn. All in all, a crappy situation that you shouldn't be in. Not a good risk reward ration especially being out of position...
Old 07-08-2005, 04:50 PM

I don't think you can semi-bluff this flop. Even if you had the 2 or 55 you wouldn't play it very fast. If he does have JJ-KK, you do have as many as 14 outs (8 flush cards, 3 4's, and 3 A's). Since your folding equity is almost zero against any hands other than AK, AQ and stacks are deep, I would say if you can handle the variance check-raise all-in, if not check and call if you get a good price. The good thing about check-calling is you may get into a big pot if one of the other players has a hand 88-JJ and check-pushes after Villain bets and you call.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:42 PM

Hi ez,

This one seems simple to me: check, and if someone bets, move in. You have 12-15 outs, and he doesn't have an easy call with the smaller overpairs in his range. He lays down AK, etc. always. If he calls you with AA, you have 12 outs twice, which makes you a slight dog. If he has KK or smaller, you are probably a slight favorite even when he calls.

You made a bad call pre-flop, for a reason nobody's mentioned yet. Your stack is a little shallow to call 35 more there, but against the opponent you describe, it's ok, as long as you play better than him, and very well in general. The fact that you "had trouble with this one" indicates to me that you don't have enough experience to make this call profitable.

As far as your position goes, it's not that bad, since your call will tend to bring the limpers in as well, and you can then lead out on the really good flops for you, hopefully trapping them between you and the pf raiser. Or, you can check-call a reasonable flop bet when you flop a flush draw, since this will tempt the limpers into calling with draws, as well.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:47 PM

your line screws him royally when MP or BB hold big hands.

fim
Old 07-08-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can semi-bluff this flop. Even if you had the 2 or 55 you wouldn't play it very fast. If he does have JJ-KK, you do have as many as 14 outs (8 flush cards, 3 4's, and 3 A's). Since your folding equity is almost zero against any hands other than AK, AQ and stacks are deep, I would say if you can handle the variance check-raise all-in, if not check and call if you get a good price. The good thing about check-calling is you may get into a big pot if one of the other players has a hand 88-JJ and check-pushes after Villain bets and you call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the raiser bets $150 and you check raise all in to $1000, isnt it very obvious you have a draw? It still is probably the right move since youre close to 50/50 unless he has AA, but I dont think you have much folding equity at all.

If theres a caller before it gets back to you, then the check raise all in is even better, correct?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your line screws him royally when MP or BB hold big hands.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]what else are you gonna do?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the raiser bets $150 and you check raise all in to $1000, isnt it very obvious you have a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]it does look that way, but the is no law against playing AA, 55, 22 this way... its what i would do most of the time. i would also checkraise allin if given the opportunity with A4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2005, 11:34 PM

lead 100, push his raise to 300-400.

play it real light if you get a caller in between.

FWIW, the real win here is preflop. he has terrible absolute position and terrible relative position with a hand very likely to flop draws. $38 wasted IMO.

fim