Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 08:05 AM

Default Bad flop raise?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

No reads. How would you have played it and WHY?
Old 07-08-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Bad flop raise?

What was your objective with the flop raise? The only thing I can think of is to push MP3 off a Q and I'm not sure I want to do that since most of your outs consist of the gutshot and the BDF. You're not really cleaning up your A outs unless MP3 has exactly AJ. I guess it's ok if you have passive reads and you're pretty sure you'll get a free card. Against unknowns, meh...
I think the other streets are fine; anybody raise the turn?
Old 07-08-2005, 09:57 AM

I think I'd just call the flop with a gutshot. It's hard to tell how to respond to BB's donk bet without any reads, so I think calling and hoping to hit your A or J on the turn is the move.

The turn needs to be raised I think. You're only behind KQ and JT (I'm assuming AK or AQ would have 3-bet you preflop). If you are behind, you still have 9 outs to make 2 pair, trips, or a straight.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:47 AM

I like the flop raise. You fold MP3 from gutshots etc and unimproved i might take a free card on turn. You have a bd fl draw + gshot + one oc. Given his play id play turn and river the same.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:07 AM

My purpose of raising the flop was to get a free card. With no reads, I assume this player (like most) at my table will be loosey goosey. To my sureprise, he bets INTO me on the turn. I don't like raising here b/c if I'm reraised it is not an easy fold. I have position on him and I won't let a round go w/o a bet. If he's willing to bet my hand, I'll just call. My hand is not THAT great to raise IMO.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:13 AM

Yeah, the way you played the flop a turn raise is tough. He's betting into your PFR and flop raise. JT is a real possibility as is Aces up.
If you had just called the flop I think you have to pop this turn though.