Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 02:38 AM

Default JJ as an overpair versus tricky LAG villain

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($50.05)
UTG+2 ($49.25)
MP1 Villain ($39.52)
MP2 ($104.4)
MP3 ($24.6)
Hero ($50)
Button ($112.14)
SB ($94.62)
BB ($50)
UTG ($55.25)

Villain is a LAG. Over 30% V$PIP, 7% PFR, and very aggressive post flop. He has flashed a couple of big bluffs when his opponents folded out. He has also shown down a couple of big hands.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 Villain calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $2</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $1.50, MP1 Villain calls $1.50, MP2 calls $1.50.

I don’t like to reraise a preflop raiser with JJ. I’m playing for a set, or an overpair versus minimal aggression. No read on the MP3 raiser.

Flop: ($10.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $5</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, UTG+1 folds, Villain calls $10.

Once again, I’m raising here for information, but I just don’t know if that is a good play. Is calling the LAG down better? I should have suspected that whatever he has, he’s going to go to the felt with it. Should I have just pushed or folded given my read on Villain as being a bluff here some percentage of the time? What percentage of the time would he need to be bluffing?

Turn: ($40.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain checks, Hero checks.

Now I showed weakness after my raise on the flop. Bad idea? Would a bet here be better?

River: ($40.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villain calls $22.52 (All-In), Hero folds.

Too weak? Good fold?

Thanks.

Final Pot: $63.27
Old 07-07-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: JJ as an overpair versus tricky LAG villain

1.) Preflop - there are three hands ahead of you. You need to make this $6-8 to play. That way, if he reraises you - you can comfortably get away from your Jacks.

2.) Flop - this is a good play for information. You are very likely behind - as such the rest of your play is decent.

3.) Turn - checking behind is good, I think.

4.) River - now any 9 or a set of TTT, QQ,KK, and AA all have you beaten.

I think you could have avoided this scenario w/ a good preflop reraise.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:46 AM

Reraise to $6 preflop. You're somewhat ahead of Villain's raising range, you have position, and a smooth-call of this rather weak raise turns your JJ into sixes or fours, since you've opened the door to a multiway pot.

Good raise on the flop. After the call... hell. I'd push the turn, but check behind/fold might be as good or better. Hard to know where you're at. That's LAGgery for you. I think reraising preflop to define your hand would have playing out rather differently.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:51 AM

People who lead into pf raisers for half pot often have a set. This guy might not have a set - but he probably does by the river (given the 8 and T).

However, I am not sure you can fold the river, after you gave him an opportunity to bluff. I would probably have set him in on the turn, or just flat called the bet and see what *he* does on the turn.