Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2003, 04:51 PM

Default Sklansky on Poker problem - the other side

This hand is similar to a Sklansky on Poker problem, and there is one interesting decision. I thought I would post it, since it reminded me so much of that book's puzzle, and of a hold 'em example in the back of "Theory of Poker".

I am in an online game where most players were pretty tight, except the BB.

I am dealt KdQd utg and raise. I get an early caller, a late caller, the SB calls, and the BB folds. Just what I planned...

THe flop is K/8/6 rainbow with none of my suit. I bet, and only the SB calls.

The turn is another K, putting a 2 flush on board. THe SB checks, and I check behind. This is, of course, the interesting street.

THe river is T, and does not complete the backdoor draw. My opponent bets, and I call, I suppoise this decision is also interesting, since I had to think about it a little.

Comments appreciated.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Sklansky on Poker problem - the other side

I don't understand why you just didn't bet your hand unless you were setting him up for a raise on the River, which you didn't do. Were you trying to be tricky or cautious? I don't get it.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:45 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

"I am in an online game where most players were pretty tight, except the BB.

I am dealt KdQd utg and raise. I get an early caller, a late caller, the SB calls, and the BB folds. Just what I planned..."

so the tight players cold call, and the loose blind folds? just what you planned?

the turn and river play is terrible.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:56 PM

I don't understand what you were going for. If the SB is on a flush draw you need to make him pay for it and not let him see his miracle card on the river for free.

The only possible reason to check on the turn is because you are hoping to have the SB bluff at you on the river so you can raise.

I don't agree with your turn or your river play.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:02 PM

The "just what I planned" line was a joke as it was exactly what he was not hoping for.

While I would have bet the turn, there are reasons for checking i.e. you don't want the sb to fold middle pair, you don't want the sb to raise you if he has 66, 88 etc., you might induce a bluff etc.

Of course, a river raise is also an option but it would be pointless if the other guy was bluffing and would be counterproductive if he had flopped a set or made a straight with 97.

Again, I point out that I would bet the turn and river almost all of the time.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:27 PM

what's interesting to me is that you missed a raise on the river. it's closer than one might think, but i think a raise, despite risk of reraise, still has solid value here.

i love the turn play if done in moderation and balance with pound pound pound. confusing checks are the only way to balance straight forward checks and confusing bets. if that makes any sense.

good hand.

Old 02-10-2003, 06:34 PM

Dan,

I agree with the other posters. With your hand, what could you have possibly hoped for beyond what you got on the flop and turn? If you had hit your royal flush on the turn I could see checking it with the hopes of setting up the other player for a river raise.

But, your hand is a strong favorite even though it is vulnerable. These are the times when you should force your opponents to pay to draw out on you.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:37 PM

"so the tight players cold call, and the loose blind folds? just what you planned?"

put two and two together astro. he was being sarcastic when he said "just what i planned.."

"the turn and river play is terrible."

if that's all you get out of this post then you have some work to do astroglide.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:06 PM

Default the essay...

says you lost to sixes full. sorry to hear it, and nice turn play. i would say that the river call was optional, but in most cases you will have induced a bluff and so must call.

cepstrum
Old 02-10-2003, 07:31 PM

I think it's close, but I think you have a value raise on the river. Otherwise, I like your play on this hand. You needed the second King on the turn to check behind here. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]