Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Is this type of game beatable?

While deployed, I've put together a regular home game in the dorms. It consists of myself and another 2+2er, a maniac who has seen way too many poker shows on TV and thinks all-in is the only appropriate bet, and about 5 people who honestly have no idea what they're doing.

It is routinely 8 people to the flop for 2-3 bets. That part doesn't bother me, as I can routinely slaughter .5/1 Party games, which is really all this is. The problem is play post flop, which has little to no basis in reality. We play no-limit, since that's what they play on the TV, and people take advantage of it at all times. It's not an exaggeration when I say someone will bet $30 on the flop and then bet $3 on the turn. Bets have no relationship to the pot whatsoever. Occasionally I'll bet $3 into a $60 pot and it'll be folded clear around, other times I'll bet $60 into a $20 pot and everyone will call.

In a game such as this, are there adjustments I should be making? Playing strictly ABC poker, all draws are almost always made incorrect for me by the ridiculous betting that occurs. Should I be looking to play big cards, pair them up, and then lean on people? I'm just trying to see if there's a winning strategy when the people you play against honest to god do not know what they're doing.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Is this type of game beatable?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just trying to see if there's a winning strategy when the people you play against honest to god do not know what they're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there is no winning strategy against people who don't know what they're doing.

Wait ... that doesn't make sense.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:17 PM

If they overbet the pot and you've got a flush or OESD then just fold. If you've got a made hand you still have to bet at least half the pot to make it incorrect for longshot draws to call (gutshot,runner flush) it doesn't matter if they call anyway. They will be making a mistake.

It would be easier to help you if you offered a hand specific hand example that frustrates you.

Are you deployed in the army? If so, where?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be easier to help you if you offered a hand specific hand example that frustrates you.

Are you deployed in the army? If so, where?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm in the Air Force, I'm in Iraq.

Here's an example:

Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero raises ~3 times the big blind, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, BU calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop : K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets 17 billion dollars, all call.

Turn : T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets 4 gummy bears and six pence, all fold. Hero dies a little inside.

I'm honestly not worried about beating this game, I'm just honestly curious if it CAN be beaten.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:42 PM

Stack sizes?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:45 PM

Come on now.

Knowing the exact numbers is important. How much did you really bet? How much is the big blind?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stack sizes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone has exactly 1,800 in chips and is playing barefooted for some reason.

I hope no one is taking my example seriously, it's merely to illustrate how wild and unpredictable their plays are. These are people who are literally just learning. We had to teach two people hand rankings. Another guy dealt counter-clockwise. These people would get eaten alive at the .02/.04 tables. These are not thinking individuals, they are merely trying to have fun without a care for what the proper play is.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stack sizes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone has exactly 1,800 in chips and is playing barefooted for some reason.

I hope no one is taking my example seriously, it's merely to illustrate how wild and unpredictable their plays are. These are people who are literally just learning. We had to teach two people hand rankings. Another guy dealt counter-clockwise. These people would get eaten alive at the .02/.04 tables. These are not thinking individuals, they are merely trying to have fun without a care for what the proper play is.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you dont understand that stack sizes and blind sizes are the most important thing here by far then there is nothing anyone here can do to help.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:01 PM

Yes. Just play ABC. You're responses are great. Please visit OOT.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn : T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero bets 4 gummy bears and six pence, all fold. Hero dies a little inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe they were all out of gummy bears?

seriously, though, you just have to show down big hands and do a lot of trapping on those occasions when you hit a monster (something tells me they'll bluff if given half a chance)