Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Best choice for profit and development as player

So, I've dropped to 2 tables of 5/10 and I seem to be playing better. I also played ~1k of 3/6 6-max this weekend and enjoyed its Charmin-like softness.

Here's the question.

Say I can 2-table the 5/10 and make 1.5 BB/100. Or I can 4-table the 3/6 and make 1.5 BB/100.

I'd make more money at 3/6, especially taking into account rakeback.

However, I don't feel that my skills will develop much, as I'll just play the same autopilot style I've been playing for the last 50k. And there aren't as many challenging players to contend with.

So.... play 2 tables of 5/10 and hope that I can eventually handle 4 profitably? Or just grind grind grind the 3/6 for profit?

Thoughts?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Best choice for profit and development as player

i remember Nate tha great posting something about how he wanted to move up in liimts instead of add more tables. I tend to agree with that.

if you stay at 3/6 you'll stay at 3/6 and grind out the same amount of money.

if you try and move up, your $/hr tries, too.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:26 PM

I would stick with 5/10. If you have a large enough bankroll, and you don't need the money badly or anything... I think it'll definitely be better for development as a player. I also think playing 2 tables will be better for your development as a player, but it looks like you're finding that out already.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:26 PM

Stay at 5/10.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:34 PM

I think there is no question that you should stay at 5/10. If you put in about 7k hands a week 3-4 tabling, you should be making about 2k a month in rakeback. Even half of that, and it is a pretty nice buffer for the swings you'll endure. Also the learning experience at 5/10 will eventually let you autopilot them, giving you another choice to move up or 4-6 table, and so on. Moving down and playing without thinking will not develop you as a player in the long run whatsoever.

just my 2c.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you put in about 7k hands a week 3-4 tabling

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm forcing myself to two table right now after a 35k breakeven stretch 4-tabling. Needless to say, I won't be getting anything close to 7k hands per week.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:40 PM

Stay at 5/10.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So.... play 2 tables of 5/10 and hope that I can eventually handle 4 profitably? Or just grind grind grind the 3/6 for profit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the exact same spot as you are, but my plan is to instead of adding tables, taking shots at 10/20.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:55 PM

Stay at 5/10. You're giving up some short term profit to become a better player and earn more down the road. Of course, if you need the money in the short term, stay at 3/6.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:57 PM

Stay at 5/10 SC. Master the value-bet, until it is autopilot for you to bet 3rd pair on the river when the 3flush hits because you know that your 60/2/.4 opponent will call with A-high. Make a habit of getting reads on the players at all of your tables...let the LAGier ones bet away weak holdings... work on learning, and moving up.

Add a 3rd table once you can comfortably get reads on everyone at 2 without breaking a sweat. Once your comfortable with 3 + keeping up your attention, use the 4th table to find new tables in advance when one of your 3 starts to get tight. You'll be at the 10/20 in no time.

I 6-tabled the 5/10 for an extended period of time and it stunted my growth as a player - not because 6tabling is inherently bad, but because I became lazy and complacent about my game, and didn't work on getting reads, and adjusting my default actions based on the player, and my recent hands against him.

It's definitely do-able to improve one's game 4tabling, but you've got to develop the right habits.

Surf