Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2003, 11:10 AM

Default Majorkong, need your help

I got killed yesterday, thought I played well until the following 2 hands which left me dumbfounded. Dont know whether I did the right thing and got unlucky or I'm just a bad player. Please help.

Hand #1: I am the button with AKo. Players 1-4 fold. Player 5 raises, Player 6 re-raises. I call. (Was this mistake #1? Should I have folded, re-raised??) Blinds fold. Flop comes KJ4. It gets checked to me, I bet. Everyone calls. Turn comes 7. Player 5 checks, player 6 bets, I raise. Player 5 folds, player 6 re-raises. I call. (was this mistake #2??) River comes 2. He bets, I call, he's got KK.

Hand #2. Everyone folds to me (I'm in the middle) and I limp with QJo. Everone folds except the blinds. I contemplated raising but there were still several people yet to act and I was worried about a raise. Flop comes Q 10 5. Everyone checks to me, I bet. SB calls, BB folds. Turn comes 2. SB checks, I bet, SB raises. I call. River comes 6. He bets, I call. He's got 10 5.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:40 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Majorkong, need your help

ill take a stab...

hand 1...

this could be folded preflop....unless its a looser raiser doing the 3 betting...but what are his 3 bet standards? theyre different than just normal raise standards....

when he pops the turn, he has at least AA..that strong a move says he can beat AK...it's just a matter of with what

.would he 3 preflop with KJ? maybe? maybe not... id put him on JJ ....but if youre really unsure about this player, call....it can be a tough fold at this point. some players will only do this move with a set or top 2 pair....

hand 2...

if the game is right, you could limp with this...just be careful with it....if i choose to play it id usually raise though...but usually id fold it...

as in hand 1, what do you think the c/r is? is this a tricky player? if not, youre usually beat here....but, if in doubt, especially HU, call it down....just use the info for later hands..
one problem with this type of hand is your kicker...obviously, and it can make a read a little tougher....which is why i tend to raise preflop...it can make the hand easier to play....

b
Old 02-09-2003, 03:56 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i would have folded or capped hand1 depending on the players.

hand 2 should definitely be raised preflop, and if you can't do that, you should fold
Old 02-09-2003, 07:54 PM

In hand 1:

The play depends on the nature of the raisers... if you suspect that the 3-bet is an isolation raise, then you should 4-bet. In general, though, I fold AKo if it's 3 bets to me. I wouldn't fold AKs, though... I would go ahead and cap it. Against many (most?) opponents, you can fold on the turn when you are 3-bet... they will have a set here basically 100%. A few more aggressive players will do this with AK or some wacky draw and you will have to call down.

Hand 2:

I basically never open limp from MP. When you get raised on the turn, I would generally fold... since the pot was unraised preflop, you need to strongly suspect your opponent of putting a play on you to call down. Again, if your opponent is particularly tricky, then your weak open-limp may have invited him to take a shot at you... in which case I would 3-bet the turn as the last money I put into the pot.