Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Bothersome AA hand

2/5 NL at the Borg. I'm not running well and the hand before I just took a beat where I lost with the nut straight to a runner runner flush (and I managed to save my stack with a killer river check behind).

I have about $450 and A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP. UTG limps, I raise to $25, SB calls and UTG calls.

Flop ($75): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Check to me, I bet $60. SB raises to $120. UTG mucks and it's on me. SB has been playing reasonably tight, and I read the c/r here to be some sort of a pair + draw type hand hoping to either take me off unpaired overs or maybe build a pot if he hits on the turn.

I call, intending to fold if he bets bigish on a scary turn and to get all my money in if the turn bricks.

Turn: ($315) [5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, I go all in for $293...

How's my line?

The Doc
Old 07-05-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Bothersome AA hand

I like.

if he is decent there is no way he checkraises 2 streets with a set.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:48 PM

Hmmmmm, I was actually thinking set, but you are correct, I do not see him C/R'ing two streets with a set.

I guess my only problem here is that if he is in fact a decent player, I have no clue what he is playing now:

-Ac6c as well as Ac7x seem unlikely to call a 5x raise out of position
-Small connectors (65s, 76s, 87s or 98s - but not necessarily clubs) could be possible here. Obviously 87s we don't mind, 98s, 76s, 65s we do. The raise is pretty big to call with small connectors, but not out of the question I guess.
-Medium Pocket Pair? 99-JJ? This seems most likely as it called the big raise, but it did not re-raise.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmm, I was actually thinking set, but you are correct, I do not see him C/R'ing two streets with a set.

I guess my only problem here is that if he is in fact a decent player, I have no clue what he is playing now:

-Ac6c as well as Ac7x seem unlikely to call a 5x raise out of position
-Small connectors (65s, 76s, 87s or 98s - but not necessarily clubs) could be possible here. Obviously 87s we don't mind, 98s, 76s, 65s we do. The raise is pretty big to call with small connectors, but not out of the question I guess.
-Medium Pocket Pair? 99-JJ? This seems most likely as it called the big raise, but it did not re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

$25 is not a big raise at this table. Most PF raises were about $20-$35.

The Doc
Old 07-05-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

$25 is not a big raise at this table. Most PF raises were about $20-$35.

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, ok. I actually should have stated that I play very little live action, so if this is a standard live action raise then I was unaware. That being the case I see small connectors - most likely 65s or 76s, althought 87s is a possibility. I think we are looking at two pair rather than a straight as he does not lead on the turn (which he would with the straight imo).
Old 07-05-2005, 02:04 PM

I like it...if your read is right you are ok....he could also have a medium pocket pair as well and was trying to push you off overs. I can't see him going for a checkraise with a set twice unless he knows you are very aggressive. I did it to a real agressive guy last night just because all of his raising was pissing me off.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:10 PM

I like your line alot and is probably how I would've played it. I think 88 could be a possible hand, overpair with the draw. I agree with the others and don't think he is going to check/raise the turn. Once you called his flop check/raise, I think that tells him you have at least an overpair, and his check on the turn may be him giving up the pot and might be slowing down, giving you respect now.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:23 PM

Default RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
2/5 NL at the Borg. I'm not running well and the hand before I just took a beat where I lost with the nut straight to a runner runner flush (and I managed to save my stack with a killer river check behind).

I have about $450 and A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP. UTG limps, I raise to $25, SB calls and UTG calls.

Flop ($75): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Check to me, I bet $60. SB raises to $120. UTG mucks and it's on me. SB has been playing reasonably tight, and I read the c/r here to be some sort of a pair + draw type hand hoping to either take me off unpaired overs or maybe build a pot if he hits on the turn.

I call, intending to fold if he bets bigish on a scary turn and to get all my money in if the turn bricks.

Turn: ($315) [5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, I go all in for $293...

How's my line?

The Doc

[/ QUOTE ]

RESULTS:

Glad to see so many of you agree with how I played it. I've been running super-bad lately and want to make sure that I haven't lost it entirely.

Anyway, the SB called and tabled red JJ. Nice catch.

River is no help and I lose.

The Doc
Old 07-05-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

ouch that sucks.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:27 PM

Just put him in on the flop. Why mess around?