Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 04:56 AM

Default How to play JTs?

Hi,
I am a fairly new poker players (been playing for about 3 months) and this is my first 2+2 post. I decided to post this hand because I wasn't 100% sure what to do at every point in the hand.

Here is my reasoning at every step:

Pre-flop: I follow the chart in the miller-sklansky-malmuth book which say not to raise late with JTs although I heard some ppl raise.

Flop: I thought its likely that I have the best hand. I put SB on midpair or top piar with lower kicker. I put BB on midpair or two overcards. THey could also be on a flush draw. So, I decided to raise to make them pay to see more cards. Also, raises gives me more information since I would probably fold to a reraise.

Turn: When they did not reraised me and checked to me on the turn, I was even more sure I had the best hand. So I bet for value. I was not happy that both called. I was guessing that one of them is probably on a flush draw, and one is calling with midpair or a gutshot.

River: I was not happy to see a third club. They checked to me, and I thought about beting for value, but I was afraid of getting check-raised by a flush. I was very aggresive this hand, so its possible that someone who hit a flush is assuming I'd bet.

What do you think is the correct way to play this hand. I think value-betting the river would have probably been right.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Here are the stats on my opponents:

SB: VPIP 26 PFR 8 AA 2.4
BB: VPIP 12 PFR 3.6 AA 2.3
Old 07-05-2005, 06:38 AM

Default Re: How to play JTs?

Welcome to the board,

Firstly, I think you played the hand fine up until the river. I would have value bet the river.

[ QUOTE ]
I put SB on midpair or top piar with lower kicker. I put BB on midpair or two overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

These guys could be playing anything. In general, low limit players suck. Against a typical party poker 2/4 player there are a ton of hands they could be calling you to the river with.

Hand reading is a good tool to have and work on, but you have to give them a very broad range on this flop.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:12 AM

I think you played it fine up to the tiver. Don't be afraid of the flush . . . .until it hits [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously - unless te flush is really stairing you in the face MOST of the time it's a non-issue.

HOWEVER - checking is not a BAD thing. You MIGHT have gottin ONE more bet out of it but if SB and BB had nothing they would fold to a bet. IF they HAD the flush it would cost you more. THUS - checking is not a mistake.

The more I look at it (pre-coffee this morning) the more checking was a good thing.

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG
Old 07-05-2005, 08:49 AM

If SB and BB are thinking players...

Hero did not take a free card on the turn with the flush draw out there. The only time not betting this river is okay with me is if SB is very tricky and would bluff raise at this pot, forcing you to spend 2 BB on the river.

OTRW, bet it and one of them will show down a loser.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:17 AM

On the river, it's checked to you, so betting for value seems right. If you get check raised, so be it. It's tough when there are two opponents to do this sometimes, but I've found that you're good more often than not.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:41 AM

I usually just go ahead and raise preflop because I like to raise with a wide range of hands making it tougher for my opponents, a raise here has a little bit of value if only to increase the chances of folding the blinds or getting the button, and I am a bit more likely to have chances to take a free card on the flop or turn should I choose to do so.
The rest of this hand is fine except the river, I would have bet the river and expected a call from a worse pair, and I would fold to a raise.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:41 PM

Diablo is a good friend of mine who wanted me to look at his hand. Thanks for giving him a friendly welcome.

I didnt read any replys, but this is a raise PF, and value bet the river.

Peace
Old 07-05-2005, 10:49 PM

Two things, while a raise can be justified, it is marginal, but is also dependant on how well u play postflop.

From what I get, I think reccomending to raise this preflop, probably hurts the OP, seriously...look at where he is at development wise.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:53 PM

Also, as far as the river, barring reads...I bet. IF u are playing the table, and there is a guy in the hand with you that you have seen, check raise just about all his good hands on the turn or river...then check.

A ton of players 2/4 and below are absolutly in love with the check-raise. But only about half of them can check/raise the river. Most of the time they bet out.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:33 AM

This isn't a clear bet. It depends on you opponents' went to SD%. They seem tight so I would check behind.

-SmileyEH