Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2003, 11:14 PM

Default Night of the Taimen

A very good six-handed game last night. Better than usual, better than any game you've ever been in. One very loose, aggressive player (Joey), four weak-tights, and myself.

UTG Joey open raises. (Forget about S&M's starting hand requirements from UTG here - they just don't apply to Joey. He really could have anything.) Folded to my 99 on the button.

Joey's a very smart fellow. Except when he plays poker, particularly when he plays hold 'em. He cannot get his head around the game. He'll play any two cards preflop, more often than not aggressively. When he misses he scowls, when he hits he acts nonchalant.

I three-bet with my 99, the blinds fold, he caps and I call.

The flop comes QQ7. He doesn't react in anyway whatsoever to the flop. He checks, I bet, he raises, I pop it again, he caps.

The preflop and flop betting tells me Joey has a pocket pair, of that I'm certain now, and I'm also certain the flop didn't help him.

The turn card is a QQ7(10). Joey bets.

What's the best play here? Know this - there is not a chance of him folding. We'll be showing it down.

I'm looking at this from a longterm point of view - this hand came early in the evening and given that I've played dozens of sessions with this lineup, I knew Joey and I would be heads up many more times before the session ended.

Appreciate your help. Billy
Old 02-07-2003, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Night of the Taimen

I forgot to add, given his monster tells, the turn card didn't help Joey either.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:16 AM

i think he had Aces, but if you think its likely he has any pocket pair then call down especially since you can spike a 9 on the river.

as to meta considerations do u think it will influence his play against you depending on what you do?

problem i see with raising is you will often be 3 bet by a worse hand.

Old 02-08-2003, 04:25 PM

i dont know. how much money do you have on you? if you raise the turn youre looking at it coming back to you for 3 bets. are you happy with that?

i would just call him down, but im a passive calling station.

why the hell is there a cap heads up btw?

Old 02-08-2003, 07:46 PM

See your 2+2 books. Going to war with him early (especially with a questionable hand) could leave him a) happy with his big win OR b) in a very bad mood

Both are probably very bad. Do not upset his current state of being and just call it down.

Besides calling down is probably the best play anyway.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the replies.

if you raise the turn youre looking at it coming back to you for 3 bets. are you happy with that?

I guess this is the crux of my question. Because I've been in similar headsup hands against Joey a half dozen times before I think putting in as much money as possible is +ev. Or at least always playing it the same way ie calling and never raising would be another option. I would think consistancy is important.

I'll win when he holds 22,33,44,55,88 and lose when he holds JJ,KK,AA. When I win I don't want to have less bets in the pot than I had in when I lost.

why the hell is there a cap heads up btw?

This is a home game and some of our regulars enjoy a cocktail or two while playing. And even the teetotalling members occassionally misread the board.

Oh - the results. The river came a 5. Joey relaxed and started talking about his kid in medical school. He checked and so did I. He showed me 55 and dragged in the pot.

Best of luck, Billy