Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 12:43 PM

Default I need my Sklansky mindbender fix.

not a question about faith/religion, but about
character and psychology.
like..

if a guy was drowning and your standing on the dock next to a life preserver.. do you throw it to him??

if the guy was drowning and you had to run up 5 flights of stairs to get to the life preserver..

if the guy was drowning and you had to run up 5 flights of stairs but there is only a 50/50 chance the preserver is there.

if the guy was drowning /5 flights of stairs/ 50/50 chance the preserver is there/ the guard at the bottom of the stairs says he will pay you $1000 NOT to go up the stairs..

if the guy was drowning /5 flights of stairs/ 50/50 chance the preserver is there/ the guard at the bottom of the stairs says it COST you $1000 to go up the stairs.

One of THOSE types of questions that you used to ask that reveals something of our nature or thinking.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: I need my Sklansky mindbender fix.

Personally, i'd just dive in and haul the poor bugger out.

There's always an another answer. Always.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:31 PM

I'd negotiate a good price for me to invest my time and dry clothes into jumping to rescue him first, and then if I felt my equity was high enough I'd jump in.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:34 PM

Very funny ... but even funnier considering you have one of the best avatars on this site that almost no one will get.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-04-2005, 09:20 PM

whats the big secret? isn't that just a game of hangman?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Very funny ... but even funnier considering you have one of the best avatars on this site that almost no one will get.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was pretty cool, I'm glad someone spotted it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2005, 02:19 AM

1. I don't see anything special about the avatar.

2. I think I've seen many questions like the OP posed in the OOT forum.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:43 AM

If a guy is drowning, by the time you got up the 5th flight of stairs, and backdown with the life preserver, he would most likely be sank already! That would take atleast 90-120 seconds to do.

I would take the $1000 from the guard to not go up, and then jump in the water and pull him out.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:04 AM

All these types of questions are ethical in nature; whenever you decide what you "should" do you are making a (ethical) judgement.

There is no one right answer that everyone will agree on. The entire exercise is an exercise in ethical judgement.

Regardless of the probabilities and odds thrown in there, these serve to obscure the main issue of ethics.

[ QUOTE ]
Ethics is a general term for what is often described as the "science (study) of morality". In philosophy, ethical behavior is that which is "good" or "right." The Western tradition of ethics is sometimes called moral philosophy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I make an ethical judgement: these ethics-oriented questions work well in the Philosphy forum.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not a question about faith/religion, but about
character and psychology.
like..

if a guy was drowning and your standing on the dock next to a life preserver.. do you throw it to him??

if the guy was drowning and you had to run up 5 flights of stairs to get to the life preserver..

if the guy was drowning and you had to run up 5 flights of stairs but there is only a 50/50 chance the preserver is there.

if the guy was drowning /5 flights of stairs/ 50/50 chance the preserver is there/ the guard at the bottom of the stairs says he will pay you $1000 NOT to go up the stairs..

if the guy was drowning /5 flights of stairs/ 50/50 chance the preserver is there/ the guard at the bottom of the stairs says it COST you $1000 to go up the stairs.

One of THOSE types of questions that you used to ask that reveals something of our nature or thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but these examples are piss poor. I'm an [censored] and even I would do anything in my power to save someone from drowning - yes, even if it cost me $1000 and a run up 5 flights of stairs.

Wait, do I have to listen to a Michael Jackson song at the same time, too?

Let the fuc!er die, then.

Stupid question, dude.