Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 12:08 PM

Default confusing A2s hand

The table was pretty passive. I had about 3 orbits on the villan. he had been playing loose-passive pre-flop, and aggressive post flop - his stats were around 30 V$IP/3 PFR/3 AF.

My line seems pretty weak. please tear it apart. I'm also interested in what hands you put the villan on and how much you trust 30 hands worth of stats to make a read.

PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)
(For some reason the convertor isn't working for me...)

hero is UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop:
1 call, <font color="blue"> hero calls </font> , 4 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, <font color="red"> villian (in the bb) raises </font> , all call. (Four to the flop for 8.5sb)

Flop:
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> villan bets </font> , hero calls , everyone else folds (2 to the turn for 5bb)

I wasn't folding because I could have the best hand, and if I am behind to a bigger A, I still gave myself at least 5.5 outs to improve (3 for the gutshot, 1.5 for the nut BDFD, and 1 for the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). getting 9.5:1 on my call, i figured I had the odds. I didn't raise because I was pretty sure that I would be re-raised if behind - the villan had been playing aggressively post-flop.

Turn:
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
<font color="red"> villan bets </font> , hero calls (2 to the river for 7BB)

Now I'm lost. Do I call down from here? Put in a raise and fold to a re-raise?

River:
8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
<font color="red"> villan bets </font> , hero calls
Final pot: 9BB)

Once I call the turn, I'm calling the river. the pot is big and I have a decent hand.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: confusing A2s hand

Axs (where x&lt;7, some tables 8 or 9) is one of the many hands I've sworn off in the past couple of weeks, for this very reason. If you don't catch a flush draw on the flop or have your weak kicker come up as top or second pair, but pair the ace, it's really difficult to play.

Once you're in the hand, the flop is fine. I raise the turn and call if 3-bet (you might have the best hand, of course; 2 aces on the board and 2 in your hands is a longshot; if you're not best, you've got outs to make a boat on the river and, at worst, chop). If called on the turn and checked to on the river, bet.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:19 PM

The flop &amp; turn are perfect. There's no way you can raise 4th Street &amp; fold to a 3-bet with your wheel &amp; boat draws.
I'd raise the river and make a crying call on a 3-bet vs. this opponenet. He'll call with any PP.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:28 PM

For only 30 hands you can't put too much confidence in the 3% pfr, except to say he's not a maniac and doesn't raise with any two. So he's a little particular in what he raises pf.

30% VPIP could just be a run of decent cards to play, or a semi-loose player. Other information could be pertinent to establishing a 'read' would be how much he cold-calls, etc.

I could see a turn raise here, but I don't mind the calling down with this hand. Reason being, if he raised pf with a premium pair, JJ, QQ, KK, then you're ahead. Now even when an A flops and you hold KK in your hand doesn't mean someone has an A. It's pretty likely but not a sure thing, so betting is the right thing to do. So his bet doesn't have to be an A.

If he's got AK, AQ, AJ then you're drawing to 7 outs, which you have odds to draw, if you lean on the fact you might be ahead and some implied odds on the turn.

KO
Old 07-04-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The table was pretty passive. I had about 3 orbits on the villan. he had been playing loose-passive pre-flop, and aggressive post flop - his stats were around 30 V$IP/3 PFR/3 AF.

My line seems pretty weak. please tear it apart. I'm also interested in what hands you put the villan on and how much you trust 30 hands worth of stats to make a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

30 hands of stats is almost nothing. You can infer that he doesn't raise very often and that he's slightly loose.

[ QUOTE ]
PokerRoom 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)
(For some reason the convertor isn't working for me...)

hero is UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop:
1 call, <font color="blue"> hero calls </font> , 4 folds, CO calls, 2 folds, <font color="red"> villian (in the bb) raises </font> , all call. (Four to the flop for 8.5sb)

Flop:
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> villan bets </font> , hero calls , everyone else folds (2 to the turn for 5bb)

I wasn't folding because I could have the best hand, and if I am behind to a bigger A, I still gave myself at least 5.5 outs to improve (3 for the gutshot, 1.5 for the nut BDFD, and 1 for the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). getting 9.5:1 on my call, i figured I had the odds. I didn't raise because I was pretty sure that I would be re-raised if behind - the villan had been playing aggressively post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those last two setences do not go together. If he's aggressive postflop, he may also 3-bet a hand like KK or QQ. I think you've got to raise the flop here. You really want to get this heads up, where you can just call down if he keeps coming at you. (Fortunately for you, everyone else folded anyway, but you should get in the habit of raising it because the pot is big.)
Old 07-04-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's got AK, AQ, AJ then you're drawing to 7 outs, which you have odds to draw, if you lean on the fact you might be ahead and some implied odds on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

9 outs: 3 2s, 3 3s and 3 4s. The twos give you the win, the others give you a chop.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:43 PM

True true... time to go take those hidden out quizzes again.

KO
Old 07-04-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

9 outs: 3 2s, 3 3s and 3 4s. The twos give you the win, the others give you a chop.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually 13 - there are the 4 5s too.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those last two setences do not go together. If he's aggressive postflop, he may also 3-bet a hand like KK or QQ. I think you've got to raise the flop here. You really want to get this heads up, where you can just call down if he keeps coming at you. (Fortunately for you, everyone else folded anyway, but you should get in the habit of raising it because the pot is big.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with raising the flop. First, you're not making the pot wrong for a flush draw or OESD, so you'll have a much better chance of making it HU on the turn. Second, although a multi-way pot doesn't fit the criteria for WA/WB I think that's close to the situation you're in. If anybody out there has an ace, you're drawing to 3 outs; no ace, and they might have 8 or 9 outs (flush and straight draws), or be drawing virtually dead.

Call the flop, raise the turn where you're more likely to be able to thin the field, generally speaking (doesn't apply here, everybody folded the flop without being raised).
Old 07-04-2005, 12:54 PM

LOL. Haven't finished my coffee.