Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Default KK - Can\'t protect the flop and CR\'d on the river with no card over 10

Only 17 hands on one and 8 hands on the other so no reads other than nothing has really stood out so far.

The flop was so big a raise wouldn't cut the odds for any drawing hand. I considered calling the flop with KK here and then raise the turn, but figured it was going to be raised anyway behind me so I took the lead.

On the river I thought the flush draw missed and if CR'er had the AA more power to him. With no paint card out I felt I could be up against QQ/JJ or missed draws.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (21.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls. <font color="blue">Your line? </font>

Turn: (17.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls. <font color="blue">??? </font>

River: (20.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls. <font color="blue">I can't believe someone has a 5 with all the preflop action, and the flush draw missed. A bet here is correct? </font>

Final Pot: 26.25 BB
Old 07-04-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: KK - Can\'t protect the flop and CR\'d on the river with no card ove

First, reads are very important, especially for BB. If you suspect either player of raising light, it should affect your decision-making process. Anyway. You are not looking to protect anything on the flop. You are betting and raising for value. This is an attractive flop for overpairs, which makes slowing down on the turn a little ridiculous. Raise the turn - if MP3 wants to tag along with JJ, a heart draw, or something else, cool, but you need to raise. On the river, BB isn't bluffing (he usually has a full house). You can pay him off without a read, but it doesn't look good.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: KK - Can\'t protect the flop and CR\'d on the river with no card over 10

Without analyzing it too much, I think you played it fine. You have to bet that river. The pot is huge at the end so you should just call and move on. I'm guessing 77 for BB.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: KK - Can\'t protect the flop and CR\'d on the river with no card ove

[ QUOTE ]
You are not looking to protect anything on the flop. You are betting and raising for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lately I've been getting involved with an overpair holding in multiway pots. So I went back and reread SSHE -Protecting Your Hand. There are times I feel like a major Donk building a pot with the 2nd best hand and just along for the ride.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:55 PM

I think I raise the turn as well. I like your river action though.