Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Party rebuy hand

Early in 2nd hour of party rebuy. Average stack = 4k. No read on villain.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t615)
MP1 (t3415)
MP2 (t12515)
MP3 (t10020)
CO (t3357)
Button (t3550)
Hero (t4285)
BB (t2940)
UTG (t5835)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls t150, CO calls t150, Button calls t150, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls t350.

Flop: (t1450) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>

Villain pushes. Hero?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Party rebuy hand

I'd fold. You will still have around 3000 (20xBB) after folding this hand, and I can't see you being ahead in this hand!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:13 AM

I'd be inclined to put villain on an underpair here, I would imagine AQ/KQ smooth calling to allow you to stab at the pot on the turn, with no straight/flush opportunities on board.

This is dependant on the buyin however, which you didn't mention. With three limpers, I'd either limp as well looking to hit the flop, or raise more.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:38 AM

Depending on the buy-in and how the table has been playing, I think I probably limp here, and hope to flop a monster. AJ is nice, but some weak-tighty could be coming in from LP with AQ or (it's wrong but I've seen it a lot lately) AK.

As it stands, your play will probably look enough like a steal that someone will look you up. (With (relatively) deep stacks and position, button could be sticking around with a wide range of hands.) If I have AK, I probably shove it in, and take down the limps without a flop, and if someone wants to call with 99, god bless them.

In any case, you gotta ask yourself, is the villain calling a pre-flop raise and then making this play with AT? KJ? I guess it's possible (and pretty ballsy if that is the case), but...fold.

Sam
Old 07-04-2005, 11:01 AM

Pot sized raise here would be 750. I wouldn't make a smaller raise unless I knew the limpers would fold to less. A lot of players will say to just call here.
Whether to raise or join the limpers in a variety of situations is something I've been thinking about a lot recently. I think it depends on reads, stack sizes, and position. Out of position if you know the limpers will call anything it might sometimes be better to limp. If they will fold to a pot sized raise, I'm usually happy to take it down.
Your stack size is really borderline here. If you had 2-3k it would obviously be time to make a play at the pot right now. With more potential chips to enter the pot after a favorable flop limping looks better. With 6k+ I'm usually limping.
Here I would put in a big raise because I prefer aggressive play and I am biased to view limping as weakness. Also at this point in a tournament I can usually recognize who is coming over the top of me with 55 and who must be trapping, but I probably can't get away from tp3k on the flop.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:50 PM

(this was a $20 rebuy, forgot to mention the buy-in - it was all that was going on at 3am lol)

hmmm interesting replies. Not a single person suggested what I did. lol. Oddly enough, I didn't really see myself being behind in this hand.

Hand that are ahead:

Anything with a Queen - Almost definitely WAY ahead of me. It would be stupid for him to push when he could let me bluff at the pot more.

Any pair other than Queens - Why would he push if I could easily have him beat with a hand like AQ, QK, QJs, AA, KK. Seems like a suicide move if I had him beat.

AK - If he limped with that many limpers w/AK, well I guess I don't know what to say to that, except that it's pretty unlikely.

44 (boat) - Possible that he has 44 and is hoping that I call with a Queen. Probability of flopping a full house with a pocket pair: 1/196

Well, I don't think he has a queen or a pair. It's highly unlikely he has AK or a full house. It's a $20 rebuy and I doubt that he is smart enough to making a fake bluff with a monster hoping that I'll call with ace high.

So, I'm pretty sure he's bluffing and I call. Correct play?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:10 PM

Why can't he have an underpair? Thats what i'd expect to see, and he's pushing here to A) get you to fold JJ/TT (maybe AA/KK if you would lay them down) and hes got like 66/77 and hoping you'd fold a pair of say tens, OR he's getting you to fold AK so you don't have overcards.

I wouldn't expect him to have a Q here (unless hes confident enough that you've got a big hand you can't get away from).

I think in this situation more often than not he'd have 66-99 (they seem to be the hands that call me times like this)
Old 07-04-2005, 05:52 PM

Hero calls...
Villain turns over 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Turn and river are both clubs and villain wins with flush. wtf?