Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Johnny Chan eliminated from PLO 10K \"the push play\" fails again

I was at the rio this passed week observing all the events. Late saturday night there were 6 tables left in the PLO 10K event. Johnny was in the SB when everyone folded to the button who raised to 2K (blinds were 150-300) Johnny had about 16K in chips and reraised the villian (an unknown with a big stack of aboout 45K) to 8k. The villian ponders a call for a few minutes but does so. The flop comes K 10 5 with two hearts. Johnny immediatly does what i refer to as the "push play" by going all in for his last 8K. I didnt get to see there hands but i assume Johhny has at least a K if not some form of AAXX. And is afriad of the straight and flush possibilities. After about 3-4 minutes villian calls with Jh10h 6d5d. THe turn completes the flush and johnny silently but noticably upset walks off without shaking hands. What i wonder is if this play ever works? I have attempted it myself many times (usually fails) and scene a number of pros lose doing so (ie Marcel Luske going all in with 4 4 in last years WSOP and Harrington bumping him off in 10th). Is it a good play? Or is one better of betting a part of the pot and folding on the turn? In Johnny's case it was clearly the right play. He was shortstacked and couldnt just bet the pot. Just wondering what others thought of attempted to push people out with an over pair on a board full of draws? Is it long term negetive EV? Im coming to the assumption that it is as the only hands you would make fold are the ones you beat and cannot outdraw you. Comments appreciated. PS i never realized but the pros look different in person. TJ cloutier is a giant Lederer is Obese and fishman is 5'4 at best. Just interesting to see them in person.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Johnny Chan eliminated from PLO 10K \"the push play\" fails again

How do you open raise to 2k with 150/300 blinds in Pot Limit Omaha?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:41 AM

Well there was one limper to the button who raised to 2K So the blinds were 300+300(bb)+sb150 = 750+300 X 2 =2k raise. There was one limper thanks for the catch. Again these numbers were approx and the question isnt really about the elination or the numbers but more about making the play. Is going all in justified with such a scary board (again this is Omaha so that board is really frightning).
Old 07-04-2005, 04:27 AM

I think it is a good play at times but way overused. Now most savvy players now that this play means weakness because it is used so much, either some draw or weak hand and people will call you down. It's not just done on the flop but preflop and river also. I've busted out many players after I called their weak hands and I've also been busted out when they hit there flush or straight draw.

Everyone seems to be pulling these plays. They flop a straight draw or flush drawn and they are all-in. Remember Doyle Brunson wrote extensively about this play with suited connectors in Super System way back and for years it was probably a very profitable play because only a handful of pros like Chan would make it. Now everyone and their brother is using and the play gets no respect and called down everytime.

Poker is kind of like the stock market in which certain plays and hands come in and out of favor. Right now this push move is at its peak. A wise poker player might make this same play when they actually do flop a great hand like a set or with rolled up Aces, and let your opponent call with middle or top pair thinking you are on a draw.

Right now my favorite move is the limp in the later rounds. Such a versatile and potent move in these days of raise and push poker. However it must be used in moderation, just like all moves, otherwise it loses its potency and people know what you are up to.