Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2003, 03:19 PM

Default 68o BB hand

Good 15-30 game. A few tight-aggressive players and two very loose fish. Family pot - 9 see the flop. Opponents probably view me as weak-tight.

6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] in BB

5 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

UTG (pretty tight player) bets. MP calls. LP (super-aggressive loose cannon) calls. I call.

7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

I check. UTG bets. LP raises. I 3-bet. UTG calls. LP calls.

T [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

I check. UTG checks. LP bets. I call. UTG folds J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] .

Anyone do anything differently?
Old 02-06-2003, 03:42 PM

Default Re: 68o BB hand

I would have played it the same way.

-- Homer
Old 02-06-2003, 05:02 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i may have raised the river
Old 02-06-2003, 05:16 PM

9 players in? I'd raise this out of the BB to build a pot. If it got 3-bet, I'd cap it.

But seriously folks, I think you played the hand just fine. Nicely played hand sir.

One minor thing, however. I'd prefer to bet the river. That's easy for me to say from behind this computer, but I think if you were up against a set, the turn would have been capped instead of just called by two opponents. I also don't think you need to worry about the nut straight for the same reason. You may have gained two more big bets.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:22 PM

How about two-pair (T9 or T7)?

-- Homer
Old 02-06-2003, 05:43 PM

One minor thing, however. I'd prefer to bet the river. That's easy for me to say from behind this computer, but I think if you were up against a set, the turn would have been capped instead of just called by two opponents. I also don't think you need to worry about the nut straight for the same reason. You may have gained two more big bets.

I'm not against the nut straight. I would have been re-raised 100% of the time on the turn. In fact, I knew neither of these opponents had J8 on the flop. I was very sure LP didn't have it, since she would raise with that on that flop almost 100% of the time (she would definitely play J8o, though). Tight player would not be playing J8 UTG.

I was worried a lot about the full house. I thought tight player either had 55, 99, or a big draw like J [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . I was close. LP I thought had 55, T7, or a busted club draw. (99, TT she raises pre-flop, T9 she raises on the flop). I was sure she would bet her draw if she missed, which is why I thought check-calling the river was the best play.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:48 PM

i may have raised the river

Why?
Old 02-06-2003, 05:50 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

for value, depending on my read of the player. i'm really not buying a full house or J8 here.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:01 PM

for value, depending on my read of the player. i'm really not buying a full house or J8 here.

I explain in a previous post that I'm 100% sure I'm not up against J8.

And I think there's a decent chance I'm good.

However, if I'm good, check-calling will get me a bet from a missed flush draw.

If I'm good, what hands can call my check-raise? Ten with a draw is a possibility, I guess - Tx spades, T8, TJ and maybe an overaggressive QT/KT/AT. Also, maybe a JJ that limped in. Besides those, I just can't see very many possible hands here that could call me given the pre-flop, flop, and turn action of this hand.

I think I'd give this more creedence if I could muck my hand to a 3-bet from LP. However, she's smart and tricky enough to put me on a straight and 3-bet me on the river with a busted flush draw.

Old 02-06-2003, 06:22 PM

you'd be amazed how many people will call river checkraises just to see your hand.

i feel you can checkraise and call a 3bet from a tricky player without regrets.