Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2005, 05:55 AM

Default Semibluff this flop? Party 2k NL

Hi,

NO reads on opponents in this hand. I hadn't been playing very long when the following hand came up:

UTG (4k) calls 20
MP calls (2.2k) 20
Hero (2k) is in the cutoff with 10d Jd and raises to 100.
UTG calls 80
MP calls 80

Flop:
9c 8d Ac
UTG checks
MP checks
Hero?

Thoughts:
I really hate the thought of getting pushed out of this pot by a check raise. At the same time, this is a good flop for me to possibly steal on regardless of my cards since the ace hit and I raised preflop, and it has been checked to me.

Is it worth the risk of a check raise on the flop? If so, approx. how much would you bet, and how often would you bet it? Another sick option would be if check raised - PUSH!!!! on that flop - haha.

I like the idea of taking a free card here a good % of the time and betting from time to time also, but I wonder if this should be an automatic check in this situation for some of you guys? A great thing about this flop is that it has backdoor flush potential to go with the nut straight draw. By checking behind and taking a free card, I will also be able to see how the opponents react on the turn and make a read in that way. Maybe someone hit a set or has ace king or other hand they "like" on the flop. By checking I should be able to call a bet on the turn if they lead out since I helped keep the pot small by checking behind on the flop.

Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2005, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Semibluff this flop? Party 2k NL

There a couple reason for betting this flop.
The reasons I would bet this flop are
A)Because of the flush draw out there. If you check and turn is another club,some1 might come out firing , then your hand is probably useless and you're gonna have to be done with it, either someone made a flush or it is a real good scare card to bluff on.
There have been a few threads where checking a flush draw is opined to be a good move to disguise it, hence it makes sense that they might give u more credit for the flush draw if u bet out on flop.
B) You were preflop raiser, so your lead will obviously get credit on an A high flop, so its a pretty good flop to bet and when turn is a blank bet again, and take it down then.
You really cannot be afraid of being check raised all the time. It will definitely hamper your style.
If you had AK you're gonna bet this spot right? So bet it because the times when you get a pair like TT or so to fold + the times that u get called and make the straight on turn which has huge implied odds make a pot bet on this flop +ev IMO.
I know there has been a lot of discussion recently about checking behind with the nut flush draw, but in this case when you have a an oesd, but there is also a flush draw out there, id much rather bet it. Plus I am in position and third club might just be a scare card for your opponents too. Which i can again bet at if checked to and maybe take down.
All in all i think betting is the best option here as it gives u a few options on a blank turn or even a club turn.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Semibluff this flop? Party 2k NL

I'll agree with basically everything badguy says. Also, if you check behind and miss the turn, they will probably come out firing a pot bet on the turn, which you will probably call due to implied oddsss. If this happens and the flush comes, I would bluff big on the river, especially if he throws out a blocking bet or checks the river.