Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Do I Have Enough Info To Go Pro

Last December 17th I decided to take poker seriously and keep records of my results. I started with $200.00 and played 2/4 limit as well as MTTs. Here is the situation as of July 1st.
Hours played 460.66
Win rate $13.99 per hour per table (usually 2 tables)
MTTs - 154 played with net wins of $1,159.46.

The plan is to get a new computer w/ 4 monitors. I believe I could play 4 tables if I could see them all. I'm estimating that my win rate would drop to $10.00 per hour per table (Just to be safe) which would still be $40.00 per hour. I would also get pokertracker.
I've pretty much stopped playing tourneys because there is more profit in ring games.
The question is, do I have enough information to make the leap to pro? I've heard people say you need 100,000 hands but with the amount I play that would be two and a half years from now.
By the way, I'm planning to buy the new computer and play 4 tables for a couple of months just to make sure I can handle it without stressing out before I quit my job.
I'll also need time to work on a sales pitch for my wife.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
G.I.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Do I Have Enough Info To Go Pro

[ QUOTE ]
Do I Have Enough Info To Go Pro

[/ QUOTE ]

If you need to ask, then probably no. Try searching for similar posts to this, they will be helpfull for sure.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:59 AM

Move INMEDIATELY to the 30-60 tables. Do not throw away money in extra monitors. Leave that for later.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:02 AM

Four tables on four monitors?

When I saw it on TILT I didn't think that it could exist in real life.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:03 AM

why get 4 monitors? you can easily see 4 tables at the same time even on a 19 inch with 1600x1200 resolution.
get PT, don't rush into going pro or quitting your job.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last December 17th I decided to take poker seriously and keep records of my results. I started with $200.00 and played 2/4 limit as well as MTTs. Here is the situation as of July 1st.
Hours played 460.66
Win rate $13.99 per hour per table (usually 2 tables)
MTTs - 154 played with net wins of $1,159.46.

The plan is to get a new computer w/ 4 monitors. I believe I could play 4 tables if I could see them all. I'm estimating that my win rate would drop to $10.00 per hour per table (Just to be safe) which would still be $40.00 per hour. I would also get pokertracker.
I've pretty much stopped playing tourneys because there is more profit in ring games.
The question is, do I have enough information to make the leap to pro? I've heard people say you need 100,000 hands but with the amount I play that would be two and a half years from now.
By the way, I'm planning to buy the new computer and play 4 tables for a couple of months just to make sure I can handle it without stressing out before I quit my job.
I'll also need time to work on a sales pitch for my wife.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
G.I.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will not be able to keep up your win rate (~$14/table hour = almost 6 BB/100 hands.) Even $10/table hour is very high (over 4BB/100 hands). A more realisic expectation is 2BB/100 hands. Playing 4 tables you'll get about 250 hands/hour, so you'd make about $20/hour. Still want to go pro?
Old 07-02-2005, 11:26 AM

Good luck,
First a tip. You don't need four monitors to play four tables, despite what the shaky guy on tilt did. Buy a Dell 2001FP or any monitor that supports 1600x1200 res. All four tables fit right on there without overlap.

Second some advice, if this is a serious post, which I can't tell then no with those numbers you gave you don't have nearly enough info to know whether or not you can make a living but I'll tell you right now your current hourly rate is not sustainable. Read the above post someone made about the factt hat your true hourly rate will probably be no more than 20/hr. Then you have to worry about health insurance etc. In sum, you may be good enough but right now you're definitely not ready at the limits you play.

Take care,
Matt
Old 07-02-2005, 11:39 AM

This is a funny troll account.
~Justin
Old 07-02-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a funny troll account

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

If not, the answer to your question is Yes if you think a night on the town is catching the $4 twilight movie and afterwards getting supersized at McDonalds. Oh, wait a minute, you would have to go dutch. I hope your wife has a good job.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:46 PM

Rofl. I hope this is a troll as well, if not, definitly it's a definite no. You started playing $2/4 with 100 bets, bad idea. You don't even own PT yet. Don't quit McDonalds yet.