Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Hand from 20+2 MTT

Hi,
this is a hand from yesterdays 20+2 MTT at party. I don't have the HH, but I'll try to describe the relevent facts:

BB is short stacked at 520
Villain has T6000
Hero has T5000

Blinds are 150/300

No real reads on Villain

I get dealt 55 and decide to limp in MP with the Villain having limped in front of me.
Everybody else folds, BB just calls and doesn't put his remaining 230 chips in.
Was my limping a fault? Should I have raised with my pocket pair?

Flop comes 4 5 6, no flush draw out there. So, I hit my set, but there is also a straight possibility out there.

Villain bets T300. What should I do? I decided to just call. BB folded.

Turn: K
VIllain again bets T300. What should I do? I called again.

River: 10
VIllain now puts me allin, which means that he is betting about T4400 into a pot of T2100. What do I do now? Call or fold?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as I'm not sure how I should play this hand.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Hand from 20+2 MTT

I think you need to raise the flop, raise the turn, and reevaluate on the river.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:01 PM

55 is not a raising hand from MP so limping is fine unless you think you can steal the pot. But then it really doesn't matter what hand you have, you're just playing the players. So in this case your pre-flop decision was correct.

On the flop you've got to think you have the best hand. If you're up against 66 then you'll just have to watch your chips slide across the table (hopefully to the shortstack and not the villain). I would definitely raise the flop for two reasons. First, you don't want a hand like A7 or 98 catching their straight basically for free. Second and more importantly, you hope that the villain is playing with an overpair in which case he's going to re-raise you (probably all-in) and you're going to win a big pot. But, I don't mind a smooth call here. The problem is you're lost in this hand for some reason. You have no plan. So if you smooth call what are you going to do on the turn and river? The only way I'm not getting all my chips in the middle is if a 3 or 7 hits the board in which case I'll slow down.

I would definitely raise the turn. You still most likely have the best hand and I'd want to start building a nicer pot.

I'd call the river. If you lose set over set or to a straight then that's just tough. But it looks like a steal attempt.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:41 PM

i detest your play on every street except for preflop (that being said, if the table is playing passive enough, i prefer to raise to eliminate the dead money, but im kinda maniacal though.) on the flop, it is absolutely imperative to define your hand as he could be holding anything. on the turn as you played it, you once again need to raise to avoid your tough river decision that you were faced with. the river kinda looks like a bluff (but is player dependent) so i call there.