Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 01:29 AM

Default WSoP reading advice

I'm trying to cram for the WSoP Main Event and would like advice on prioritizing. I have very little live poker experience and i haven't been able to play tourneys online since November due to my eyes sucking post brain surgery. Before said surgery, however, i was a successful Limit Sit & Go Tourney player, so i at least have practice in adapting my playing style according to the table and chip/blind situation.

Over the past couple days i've read almost all of Harrington on Hold'em I & II, which i found generally excellent...especially since it advocates a style of play similar to mine. In the past, i've read Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players (multiple times), Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players, Small Stakes Hold'em, and i'm almost done with Theory of Poker. Further readings include Brunson's Super System, Ciaffone's Middle Limit Holdem Poker and part of Pot-Limit & No-Limit Poker, as well as a few chapters of Hellmuth's Poker Like the Pros (What? My friend owned it and let me borrow it). I've putzed around on Mike Caro's website, watching the videos, but i haven't read his Book of Tells. Oh, i've also read Girls' Poker Night: A Novel of High Stakes by Jill Davis, but i confess i'm not exactly sure how to implement lessons from that book at the WSoP unless i have a cute, cynical, single woman seated next to me.

I own, but have not opened, Ciaffone's Improve Your Poker and Feeney's Inside the Poker Mind. Are there any (or all) chapters in either that you people would recommend?

I intend on reviewing sections of HOH I & II and TPfAP, but if there's anything else to read, i'm all for it. I haven't read Cloutier's book(s) and i'm not sure i'm interested, ATM, since it's a conflicting style to the one i use and, while i'm all for knowing my enemy, i'd prefer not to confuse myself. Are there articles on the internet that are especially worth reading?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: WSoP reading advice

Wow. That's a lot of poker reading to do in a few weeks. I'd probably go for quality instead of quantity. I'd drop Ciaffone's and Feeney's books and reread HOH 1 & 2. TPFAP i'd also reread again, trying to absord as much of the info as possible.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Re: WSoP reading advice

Most of those i had read in the past. I devoured HOH I & II over the last few days. TPfAP i've read a couple times and intend on reviewing parts of it again. Theory of Poker and the Ciaffone reading i have done, were read over the couple previous weeks. The others were several weeks or months ago.

True, i haven't internalized everything that i've read the past month, especially since i haven't been to play much and try putting my newfound knowledge in practice. That's why i only wanted to read 2+2 recommended chapters of Ciaffone's Improve Your Poker and Feeney's Inside the Poker Mind, in addition to whatever internet article that are worth perusing.