Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Will I be good at Euchre?

Some friends are having a Euchre tournament next weekend. My wife actually wants to play (she doesn't really like poker).

Do limit poker skills translate at all to the game? I've never played. Euchre, that is.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Will I be good at Euchre?

nope, i would say being good at poker probably won't help you at all. but this sounds just like a freindly game so i wouldn't worry about it. just look up some basic strategy online and you can play at a level that won't embarass you in a few hours of study.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:26 AM

There's two things you need to understand to play a decent game of euchre.

Know when to call a suit up. You don't want to be set very often at all, but you also don't want the other two calling it up more than you. Knowing what you can usually win with is key.

After that, learn what order your cards play best in. For example, you probably want to play any non-trump aces as soon as possible. On the other hand, you almost never want to lead a high trump that isn't the "nut" trump at the time.

I've never been stellar at the game, but after that I think it just comes down to knowing when to go alone to maximize the points you make on your good hands.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:10 PM

"Tells" between partners is way too easy to even bother about being "good" at a euchre tournament.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:20 PM

dude, you play poker g00t. Euchre uses less than half the deck. Yeah, there's a moderate experience factor but once you've played a few games the cards play themselves.

Euchre is a very fun game to be played with friends but its a joke to take it too seriously.

Have fun.

cbf
Old 07-09-2005, 10:09 PM

The great thing about euchre is that it's pretty easy to play your hand optimally no matter how hammered you are.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:34 PM

Euchre can be a fun game but the strategy element is very minimal. Most people with a decent background in cards can play fairly close to optimal within an hour.

I would think the aspect that takes the most skill is knowing when to go it alone. Other than that, just know when to call the suit and when to pass. After that, the game pretty much plays itself.