Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2003, 10:14 PM

Default Amazing luck?

$2-4 at Canterbury. This very friendly player about the age of 65-70 is playing EASILY 7 out of every 9 hands and winning consistently. He's playing Every holding imaginable from any position, calling bets and raises with nothing and catching whatever it takes to grab the pot, be it a pair of 4's, straight, flush, you name it. I'm CERTAIN this is not the way to win consistently, but this guy was just too at ease and has been playing the game for some time I'm sure. Every 40 minutes or so he was trading a rack of chips for color. I watched him turn $60 into $340 in about 2.5 hours. Like I said, I know this isn't the way to play, even with adjustments for a loose, passive table like most $2-4 games seem to be. What do you guys think? Did I witness a once-in-a-lifetime lucky streak (two and a half hours?!?) or is there a way to cash in on these tables that I'm not getting? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2003, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Amazing luck?

It was absolutely just luck. I watched a very loose passive guy rake in about 5 racks at a 6-12 table recently. He said it was one of the biggest rushes of his life.

You'd be at ease too if you were winning rack after rack.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:45 PM

Default It was luck

Old 02-04-2003, 11:56 PM

He keeps playing that way he'll see the other side of that soon enough - and it most likely will be a lot worse, that is, if he stays at the table long enough to let it happen.

You see, the thing is, if these crappy players never ever won - they would lose their ass one time and never come back. But, they get lucky session like this and think they are so good that they should enter the WSOP that year and they keep coming back.

No way that guy is consistent winner.

As I'm sure everyone here who plays at a B&M on a consistent/semi-consistent basis would testify that they have seen the same anomoly occur. It's amazing to watch, that's forsure. I've actually had sessions like that where if I had the balls to just keep playing trash I would be flopping monsters left and right. Don't fall into that trap. Always play your best poker and you'll soon be a consistent winner.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:37 AM

Did I witness a once-in-a-lifetime lucky streak?

No. That player and just about every other excessively loose player will have many more if he plays often enough. And, so will you. And, so will I.

Old 02-05-2003, 12:54 AM

It's no different than watching a person win a jackpot on a slot machine. In most cases these players are only getting a very small percentage of their money back that they've blown away over the years.

As someone pointed out....this has to happen in order to keep these players coming back.