Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Monster Pot with Top pair Top Kicker

The Villian in this hand has only raised with quality hands so far and in the 50 or so hands I have been playing at this table I have not seen him 3-bet or cap preflop.

4 call $0.50, 2 fold, Villain (CO) raises to $1, Button calls $1, SB folds, Me (BB) with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3-bets, 4 call, Villain (CO) Caps, 5 call.

Flop (28 small bets) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] k [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, checked to Villain bets $0.50, Button calls, I raise to $1, one folds everyone else calls.

Turn (20 big bets) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, checked to Villain who bets $1, I raise to $2, 2 call, Villain 3 bets, I call, two others call.

River (32 big bets)4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Everyone checks

How was my play on this hand? My general question is should I have been more aggressive, or should I have gone in to check call mode? I went for the check raises because I wanted to try and give the other players in the hand as poor odds as possible or force them out.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Monster Pot with Top pair Top Kicker

Well, you check-raised the pre-flop capper twice. I don't think you needed to play this more aggressively. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't feel good about that 3-bet on the turn. Makes me think Villain decided to be cute and just call the flop-raise. I definitely call down from here.

Personally, I would bet out on the turn. I'd be concerned about giving a free card to someone on a flush draw. There are still a lot of people in this pot, and I don't want Villain to react to my flop check-raise with a check on the turn.

If I'm just called I bet a blank river, if I'm raised, I call down.

Standard 6 month poker player disclaimer applies.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:10 AM

meh, i'd probably lead out the flop, call a raise and then c/r the turn for no other purpose than it is fun.

i have no idea why you didn't lead out the river really. worse kings are calling you and i'd be surprised if that 4 helped anyone.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Grunching

Firstly, I suggest using BisonBison's hand converter, as everyone is used to reading it's output.

Secondly, call me crazy, but I don't like your flop c/r. The pot is gianormous, so it will only get the absolute worst hands to fold, and with 4 people in the pot someone on just a flush draw can profitably raise you here. As much as I hate to, I think I would check/call the flop, and if he bets it, I'd go for a turn c/r.

Given your flop play though, I'd rather bet the turn and call down from there.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Results /Explaination

We both had ace king and ended up spliting. I checked on the river with the intention of calling a bet from the villain. By the river I figgured the worst he could have was ace king.
The more I think about the hand the more I think a lead bet on the flop would have been a better way to play. Then a check raise on the turn. That way the same about of money would have been in the pot and i would not have ran the risk of it getting checked through on the flop.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:51 PM

I think u played it well although check raising twice wont work alot of the time. But when it does it can frustrate someone ito reraising with inferior hands (tilt). Checkraising twice is the ultimate bitch slap and on this board if u think ud succeed it was a good play call raise check / call river.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:52 PM

Can u post the results when the thread is done plz, I am very curious.

:EDIT: Nevermind