Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 09:51 AM

Default I fear him

Party $5/10. AJo in the BB.

UTG open raises. I like UTG. UTG never raises. I've never seen UTG out of line. UTG folds a lot preflop and on the flop.

Folded to me. Who calls? I do, of course, or there wouldn't be a story, but I'm not comfortable with it.

Flop: A J 7 two hearts. I check-call.

Turn: offsuit 9. I check-raise. He 3-bets.

I cap. Is this a mistake given my read?

He calls.

River: offsuit Q. I bet, he raises.

Was the bet an error? Can anyone fold here getting 12-1?

All comments appreciated and then ignored so I can carry on playing like a blundering fool which is the way my opponents like it.

Guy.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: I fear him

[ QUOTE ]

UTG open raises. I like UTG. UTG never raises. I've never seen UTG out of line. UTG folds a lot preflop and on the flop.

Folded to me. Who calls? I do, of course, or there wouldn't be a story, but I'm not comfortable with it.

He calls.

All comments appreciated and then ignored so I can carry on playing like a blundering fool which is the way my opponents like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gvien your read on villain, I think the turn cap is too much because you can't fold this. When a player like this 3-bets the turn, you are dead IMHO.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:05 AM

I think I just call down after he 3-bets the turn. I know its probably amazingly hard for him to have a set here with you having top two but personally when the super tight/passive guy 3-bets a turn I'm like a deer in the headlights. That being said, I know there are some super tight PF players who love to overplay their hands postflop. There's also the possibility of a chop pot. I'm calling it down, but right or wrong I don't think I can bring myself to cap the turn.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:47 AM

I dump the hand PF without much thought. Players with PFR of 0% are raising AA, sometimes AKs and if your are really lucky KK (preferably sooted... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]). If they are getting clever with some trashy hand like 56s, good for them but, I do not want to be the one to find out...with a likely 3 outs or less.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:49 AM

Why did you call preflop? What's the point of having XX/XX/XX numbers if you aren't going to alter your play to follow them?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:52 AM

His likely holdings are AA KK and AKs. You are ahead of 2/3's of these hands and AA at this point has become an unlikely holding. As someone else mentioned players this tight often overplay their hands postflop. I can see him doing this with AK and maybe just maybe KK.

Given how tight he is I think that you checkraise the turn, call the 3 bet and then check-call on the river.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He calls.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since is so tight, and this is not a good river for you, i would check call. There basically aren't any players i am not capping this turn against at 5-10 given the probability of set when i hold top two. Check call that river though.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:19 PM

Holy frijoles you overplayed this. Go into calldown mode on the turn 3-bet. If he went nutso with AK, then count your blessings.

Jon
Old 07-01-2005, 02:57 PM

Default I think the flop is the key

I don't see how anyone is so disturbed w/ calling 1 bet PF. We don't know how many hands he has seen UTG not raise. And we don't know if he gets this info from PT or observation only. We don't know if he's been winning/losing or anything. We cannot put him on AA, KK, QQ so fast.

We do know that if he hardly ever raises PF, he is very unlikely to be a good player. 3.5:1 w/ AJ out of position looks like an ok price to me. Of course we'll have to proceed cautiously unless we get a great flop.

Top two on flop. You should be concerned since he is likely to have AA. But it's limit poker. You must now plan on a showdown.

You should go to battle on the cheap street. Bet and hope to get raised so you can 3-bet. If he caps. Go into calldown. If he calls 3-bet, lead turn. If raised on turn, go into calldown. If he calls, lead river and call a raise.

If you just check/called since you didn't want him to quit betting KK or QQ, I think a later show of strength would have the same effect. If that is your plan, since you put him on a big pair only, then it seems that calling down all the way is best.

As you played it, I think the turn c/r is good, but the cap is a little too strong. You are worried about his hand, right? You should have called the 3-bet IMO and c/c the river.

On the river, since one of the hands that you were HOPING he had now beats you, I think a bet is a little strong here. I hate calling a raise here, but I must as the pot is pretty big and we are not so sure that villain has a clue. You flopped top two for christ sakes.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: I think the flop is the key

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how anyone is so disturbed w/ calling 1 bet PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands could he have that would make you feel good? Knowing what we know about villain, is he likely to have one of those?