Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 AM

Default My Bankroll Management Strategy, This sound pretty reasonable?

I've just been back from my 8 month poker hiatas for about 2 months now and I'm getting back into serious mode. When I signed up I had a goal I was gonna hit first then I was going to develop a more exact bankroll strategy. I thought my original goal would take 5-6 months, but it only took 6 weeks, so here we are.

My original goal was to pop in $1000, play 1/2 to $1200, then play 2/4 to $2500. When I hit $2500 I took $500 out as planned leaving me with only $500 invested. Then I grew that $2000 to $4500 and took the other $500 out. This was the plan and it left me with nothing invested, no profit realized in my bank account, and a $4000 bankroll. Amazingly all that only took about 6 weeks (luck is a crazy thing).

This was all about 3 weeks ago. Now my plan is...on the first of every month look at my bankroll compared to the first of last month (bankroll being all amounts held at all sites+neteller, if it's in my bank account, it's never going back to poker). So today is July First I had $5200 in my bankroll. I take 50% and withdraw it forever as profit and 50% goes as bankroll growth. So now I took $600 out as my first profit, and left $4600 as my base bankroll. Now august 1st I will use $4600 as the base and split the profit over $4600 between bankroll and bank account. If it's a losing month nothing happens and my base DOES NOT CHANGE. So if I lose $500 I take nothing out and my base is still $4600, creating a deficit I need to grind through.

Like I said I just wanted to know if this was a good system, I play 3/6 and 3/6 6max and want to be conservative, because if I lose my bankroll I am done. I also want to realize some profit, and grow my bankroll so I'm ok for higher limits. Just wanted some thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: My Bankroll Management Strategy, This sound pretty reasonable?

from what ive read u need 600*BB which is what my br is.
Anything after that is play doh.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:37 AM

its a good strategy if you are concerned about dipping into your funds if you are a losing player at a certain limit and therefore become an addicted gambler. however, you cant just keep withdrawing money from your bankroll if you are consistently going below 500BBs. its not a bad idea if you keep 500BBs in there at all times for each limit and withdraw anything in excess of that. with a 500BB roll, if you hit a 200-300 pocket you should be ready to drop down.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 AM

500BB?!? Everything I've read suggests a winning player shouldn't ever run out of money with 300BB (though it was Sklansky that ran those numbers).

Bankroll aside, the cashout is the same mechanism I use. Every X dollars of profit I take out 1/2 of that X, which slowly grows my bankroll and fills my pocket with cash.

I've actually made it 2/3X cashout lately so the $/hr I actually put in my pocket is at least moderately meaningful. It means my bankroll grows more slowly, but it gives me enough to cash to actually stay interested. It's not very motivating to play endless hours and not actually have anything to go on a spending spree with at the end.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:35 PM

300BB is good up until 3/6. At that limit you'll probably need atleast 500BB to be comfortable IMO.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
300BB is good up until 3/6. At that limit you'll probably need atleast 500BB to be comfortable IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
That may be true if your win rate is lower at $3-$6. If your win rate doesn't drop substantially, you don't need a larger bankroll, measured in BB. Huge downswings are a sign your win rate is low.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:29 PM

500BB is also a minimum for SH play.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:58 PM

I just decided to do something similar -- withdraw 1/2 of my profits each month. I will do this until I have a healthy bankroll for 15/30, at which time I'll start withdrawing 100% until I'm ready to play 15/30.

Rather than just cash out, however, I've decided to parlay most of my winnings into live play. I don't play enough to justify maintaining a separate live bankroll (not to mention it would need to be substantially larger), so I'm going with the recurring revenue bankroll model. Rather than cash out $1000, I'll use it as a couple 10/20 buyins or whatever. Anything I win playing live is gravy, and if I lose I lose. I don't need to keep a separate roll for live, and I never, ever play poker with "my" money (money that I actually have to work for).
Old 07-01-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all a function of how good you are. A very good player should be comfortable with 300 bb at 3/6.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:01 PM

I play NL, so the bankroll requirement are different but I do basically the same thing that youre talking about.

Although, my bankroll is already much larger than I need so I withdraw 75% each month.

Ive never has a losing month so I havent had to worry about it, but as long as your losses dont bring you below the min requirements for the stakes youre playing, i would just make that a month that you didnt get a payout and move on from there.