Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Rivered flush...and then?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Villian ($264.55)
MP ($116.75)
Hero ($204.21)
SB ($125.05)
BB ($84.9)

Preflop: Hero is the Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Villian calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($8) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, Villian calls $3, Hero calls $3, SB folds.

Turn: ($17) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15, BB folds.

River: ($47) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian raises to $200</font>, Hero...???

Final Pot: $431.21
Old 07-01-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Rivered flush...and then?

the call puts you all in, correct? call it. if it doesn't, push all-in. you hit the hand you were waiting for, and you can't play scared of the full house. he could have j8, but that doesn't seem like a good hand to limp UTG with. 8 3 and j3 are outta the question, i think. so, its either 88, jj, 33, or j8, and i don't think you can play scared of those. besides, i think you'd see a raise pre-flop from jj, so maybe you can count that out as well.

without any reads, i call this.

of course, i could be completely wrong and have misinterpreted this horribly, as i'm low on sleep and still in 'tournament mode'.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

of course, i could be completely wrong and have misinterpreted this horribly, as i'm low on sleep and still in 'tournament mode'.

[/ QUOTE ]
Add to that the fact that we are all adventurous with other players' money!

There is a big differance between "You should call" and "I would call". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2005, 06:02 AM

I would say that there is almost zero chance that you are ahead here. It is extremely obvious what you have - although he made an awful play to try to get your stack. If he leads that river, you raise and thats the end of that.

I say he must be ahead and lay it down (grumbling). Of course - if he is a muppet - then call.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:23 AM

considering it says "final pot 431$" I take it you called him and didn't like what you saw [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

the way he played it it's impossible to put him on a full house, except on the river perhaps. he shows barely any stregnth on that dangerous flop. I personally would call just because it seems so unlikely he could have a full house . He makes no effort to protect his hand on the flop and now he's all in, it's too tempting for me to call.

I play at much smaller stakes than you do though, where the "all in" play is always a bluff and the minimum raise is NEVER a trap [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I play at much smaller stakes than you do though, where the "all in" play is always a bluff and the minimum raise is NEVER a trap [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please tell me where you play.
My all-ins are not ALWAYS a bluff and my mini-raises may well be a trap.
Try me.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:10 AM

But would all you guys call villains turn bet ($15 into $17 pot)? Looking at Villains action I could certainly play flopped trips this way, both on flop, turn and river (yes, even with the 2 hearts on the board). So an 88, 33 or JJ (usually raised pf, but not always) seem quite possible to me.

Of course you have to bet the river since you're still around; ($50 seems a bit high, I'd make it around $30-$35 to hope for raises from worse flushes or calls from 2pairs but still keep pot size manageable). His raise says you hit what he wanted you to hit (your flush draw is not exactly well concealed). I'd fold this without any particular reads.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please tell me where you play.
My all-ins are not ALWAYS a bluff and my mini-raises may well be a trap.
Try me.

[/ QUOTE ]

take every exaggeration literally [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Of course there are exceptiosn but you know what I'm saying is mostly true about a common player at such low stakes

I play 25$ NL, and no one has tried the mini raise trap. And I've RARELY seen someone go all in with chips to spare when it's not a bluff and it isn't prefop with 2 monsters.

if you're trying to mini raise to trap in the 25$ game you're going to have no success since it's got so little agression, you're better off betting outright.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:33 PM

what is reasoning for turn call?

what is plan if blank on river?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:55 PM

raise the flop