Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 02:47 PM

Default What Do You Think?

The Following hand was played online $20 nL holdem Trny on party poker. 21 players left out of 1755. I had 88 two from the button with 78,000 n chips, and the blinds were 2k-4k.
I had been at the table for only about ten to twelve hands. A player from early position made it 10k to play. I had seen the player play one hand. He took pocket jj all the way to the river even when a K came on the flop and his opponent put him all in, and he sucked out and got the j on the river. He had about 220k in chips at the end of that hand.
Everyopne folded, and I raised the pot too 20k. He came back over the top and put me to the test to call for all my chips. I called and he had AKos and made a straight. I made 200 for 21st place. 11th-20th got 60 more.
I went ahead and called for the following reasons. 1) I had played two of the previous 3 hands, AK did not have to show won pre flop, and won 99 headsup and people saw hand. 2) I figured the other player might put me on a move, and considering his overplay of the jj I thought he may play against me with a Ax. 3)I though good chace if not Ax still could be favorite 88 vs Aface, and thought maybe 30% chance bigger pair.
I would typically fold in the past in these situations, but I think that generally i play a little to tight, and am trying to get myself to take a few selective chances late in trnys to give myself chance at winning. Was this a good play? Was I thinking about the right things? What other factors should I have thought about?
Thanks in advance for the advice?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: What Do You Think?

Let me see ... the fact that you have seen the player you are up against calling JJ all-in on a K hi flop makes you think he's raising from EP and coming over the top of you with a weak hand? Why on earth would you conclude that? I really don't get it - to me it sounds like a port-mortem attempt to justify your very loose call.

Calling off nearly 20 BB with 88 to a EP raisor you have seen show down exactly one hand - a strong pair - is absolutely unnecessary at this point in the tournament. Your luck was that he "only" held Big Slick, and you were actually a small fav. The outcome of the hand is not interesting here.

This far in a tournament with a still playable stack you're NOT looking for coinflips. You have NO reason to put him on A7 or worse.

If you were down to below 10 BB it would be a very different scenario.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)