Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Incident at a popular cardroom

I won't use any names or the name of the room, but I was playing some LL hold 'em last night, and one of the players there had a ridiculous outburst at the table. I don't play in this room very often (a consequence of geography more than anything else), but every time I've played this guy, we'll call him Pete, has been there. Apparently he's a regular at low and mid limits.

So Pete has had a rough night. He's bounced from table to table, been badly bluffed out of a few pots, lost some tight showdowns and rebought several times.

It's around 11:30 on Sunday night and he flops the nut straight. Pete and another player play back and forth at each other. The other player flopped two pair, and turns a boat. So they play back and forth all the way through and Pete loses. Not only did he lose the hand, but he lost his cool.

He stands up, grabs his chips, blurts out something incoherent (English was apparently not his native language and he is tough to understand) and holds his chips clenched in a fist over his head. Then as he's walking away, says to the dealer, "I flop the nut straight, and then from the middle of the deck you pull this card from heaven." He continues to blab on as he's walking out of the room.

The dealer called the manager over (Pete had already left) and said that she thought Pete was going to hit her. I didn't really get the impression he was going to get violent, though others at the table did. Everyone agreed this guy was making a total jackass of himself. The manager agreed that Pete's behavior was completely unacceptable, and was made worse because of his words/actions towards an employee.

Has anyone seen stuff like this? I've played in numerous card rooms all over the country and never seen someone act so immature and ridiculous.

Do you all think this is a ban-able offense? And because this guy apparently is a regular in this card room, should management treat him any differently?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Incident at a popular cardroom

This sort of behavior is all too common. Of course bad behavior should be bannable.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:51 PM

Yes, he should be banned/suspended. No, he won't be banned/suspended.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:31 AM

Card rooms bring this upon themselves by not taking action promptly and consistently. But Lucky Chances in the Bay Area is a fantastically well run place. They understand frustration, but when someone crosses the line they are pretty good about sending a message to the player and everyone else that it's unacceptable.

It's a very pleasant place to play because of this. Also, the staff is well trained. For the first time in a year I played at the other local room and was amazed. A dealer there was actually arguing with a player because he would not give her his cards before she started pushing the pot to him. She wanted him to give her the cards first! Also, she didn't know basic stuff about missed blinds, posting, took forever to get a fill, etc. Like any other business, a well run cardroom shows its colors in all areas, not just a few. And I think it starts with not accepting dealer abuse which helps keep the competent ones there.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:11 AM

I've played in numerous card rooms all over the country and never seen someone act so immature and ridiculous.

obviously, you've never played in los angeles.

PS the only reason I can think of for not naming the cardroom would be if your story isn't true. since you live in chicago, it is most likely the one in east chicago (harrah's), since that would be farthest from your home. what reason could you have for withholding this information?
Old 02-04-2003, 12:27 PM

Default I was there

Well, if you think it was Harrah's then it must be Harrah's. I was there when the incident happened. I thought for a second that "Pete" was going to hit the dealer. And, I saw her flinch for a second. I think the dealer "Latoya" wished he did hit her, because he would have been feeling some pain. This guy was acting like a jerk all night over nonsense. If it was my card room he would have been thrown out immediately. Unfortunately "Pete" is a local and received special treatment. When the manager came over and asked another local what happened, he covered for him of course. Saying well "Pete is just Pete." I don't think that kind of attitude is going to make your card room a better place. I don't think he needs to be banned permanently, but you would have to sit him down and give him a firm warning.

Remind me not to play in L.A. if this kind of B.S. happens on a regular basis.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:03 PM

Default Re: I was there

harrah's in east chicago has always been a very good room to play at for me. i have seen it there where regular players are given priority in seating and in games where there is a list. i hope this was an isolated incident. it is too bad that this is the only room with action on a daily basis.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:35 AM

Yeah Lucky Chances is a good poker room if you enjoy a place that allows terribly sloppy play. I really hate it when half the players in the game are throwing handfuls of chips to each other after every pot they win. The dealers ignore this unless someone at the table says something and then they still allow one chip to be tossed around. The dealers also tolerate players who constantly are showing their hands and exposing cards as well as repeated short buys by players. I have never found this kind of sloppy play at the "other" card room. By the way, I have seen plenty of rude dealers at Lucky Chances as well. That said, I still am grateful to have several cardrooms close by to play - that may not be true for very long in San Jose if the mayor gets his wish.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:42 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

play cards long enough youll see more of this eventually...grown players acting like babies.

if this player is a regular donator, some cardrooms will be more hesitant to ban him. because the regular grinders will come to his defense. he's part of the meal ticket...

personally, i find these kind of outbursts humorous....sitting on a table day after day gets kind of monotonous. this breaks the pattern a little...though its not the popular opinion, as long as it doesnt get violent, i dont mind...

there's usually one in every room at one time or another...

this is one reason i tip dealers...they have a thankless job and get blamed for everything bad...but rarely get credit for anything good....when in reality, they have nothing to do with the outcome at all....it's an emotional game for some, and they usualy get the worst of it...

b