Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 03:53 AM

Default A fold for review

No reads on villain

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP ($701.7)
CO ($370)
Hero ($389.9)
SB ($648.4)
BB ($691.4)
UTG ($227.4)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $20</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $16.

Flop: ($66) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($66) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $70</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $375</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $511

His play screams call me with AK IMO
Old 06-30-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: A fold for review

slow played set?
Without reads i muck.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
slow played set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks that way to me.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:59 AM

Of course you have to fold. It's not even close.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:31 AM

Fold of course. Why did you raise on the turn? It seems like the raise screams ak and allows villain to get off some hands he would bet for value and stops him from continuing bluffing.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you raise on the turn? It seems like the raise screams ak and allows villain to get off some hands he would bet for value and stops him from continuing bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the raise here for a number of reasons. If the guy isn't too tricky, then a raise will charge him for any draw and will get more money in the hand if the opponent turned an A to his AJ or something like that.

Also, I like to raise the turn on bluffs sometimes when scare cards come. Hands like these at least give me a chance to make those bets legitimate. Also, a byproduct of the raise is that if you are called, you can check down the river (or put in a value bet) most of the time and if you are reraised on the turn you can pretty safely fold.

All in all, a raise here is the best play IMO against typical opponents.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:56 AM

Gomberg,

I kinda disagree. I think a raise is fine, but I prefer a raise on the river if you are going to raise at all. Charging my opponent for a draw is not really important here, especially on this type of board. If you just call the turn your opponent may hand over some bluff equity on the river. In addition, many opponents may fold AJ to a raise on the turn. If you call the turn your opponent is much more likely to think his AJ is good.

I do agree, however, that raising the turn makes your decisions easier. But I don't think in this case that the easier play is the most +EV play.

-Jason
Old 06-30-2005, 10:07 AM

I don't play 6-max much; but is it common to raise low-mid PPs 5BBs? If that's the case, I fold. Does anyone see AK as a possibility? I guess I'm more curious on the first question though.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:35 AM

Jason,

Good points - but I'd be more inclined to make that line vs. a bet that's more than 1/2 the pot. The bet is so small, that I'd raise there with nothing a lot of the time. I agree that charging the draw is not super important, but I think with this player betting the way he is, then charging the draw becomes a factor because you won't make enough on his follow through bluff to make up for the times he draws out on you in relation to the pot. Don't want to prove it with math, but my gut tells me it's true.

Plus, if you call there, will the AJ or 88 or pure bluff really bet again on the river? If you call, it'll be obvious you have an ace (or it should be) - so you may get a value bet on the river to be called.

All in all, it's close i think... I would for sure call there some of the time depending on other factors.