Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Two overcard hand

Any advice on this hand? Tables been pretty loose but no specific reads on anyone. Perhaps I shouldn't have even played this marginal hand with my position but interested in my postflop play.

Thanks,
Bo0gi3man

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: (16.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.50 BB
Old 06-30-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Two overcard hand

Your first limp is bad.

The flop is tough. I can see an argument for raising, but I dunno.

I don't like the turn raise or the river bet. MP2 is trying to tell you something, three times.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:10 AM

bad limp preflop. either raise to limit the field with unsuited overcards or fold.

Flop: raise. tbe pot is big you have overcards, gutshot, and BDFD.

Turn: bet the turn yourself and give 4-out gutshots improper odds to call (need ~11:1, if you bet and MP2 raises, they are getting 6:1).
Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 AM

I think that I might have led out on the turn, rather than going for the check-raise. But other than that, I think that I would have played the hand pretty much the same way that you did. (apart from the PF call)

You could have been beaten by 99,AK,KQ or KJ. But your flop calls made sense with 2 overcards, a gut-shot and backdoor flush draw. Your turn play looked ok with top pair and a gut-shot. And your river bet looked ok with top set.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:12 AM

Blind post

Too bad you don't have any reads here, they would help alot. My guess is that he's either a maniac, or you sucked out on the river.

I don't like the turn check raise - he's raised the first two rounds so he seems to like his hand, and TP mid-kicker isn't all that strong. I'd probably bet out the turn and see how he responds.

The river is probably good value bet. You're realy only worried about 99 and AK. Unless he shows down the nines, I'd definitely be writing notes about this guy.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:22 AM

Cold Cash:

[ QUOTE ]
Your first limp is bad.

The flop is tough. I can see an argument for raising, but I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the preflop limp is sucky.

And I think you are right about the flop raise. Large pot, 2 overs, gutshot, and a backdoor draw, a bet from his immediate right, and the pfr yet to act. I think this is a pretty good spot to throw in an extra sb here and see how things develop. Reads would help, as would being in better overall position (not so many people between you and the button).
Old 06-30-2005, 09:41 AM

From MP1, I would fold KTo.

Flop call is good both times since you have the gutshot, BDFD, and two overs (though I discount the T outs to only 1). Turn checkraise I like. When villain 3-bets your C/R, unless he's a LAG, I would put him on AA, AK, or KK...maybe KQ. The second K on the river eliminates KK and makes it much less likely he's holding the remaining K. I would also bet/call the river, but I sure would be tempted to 3-bet.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:41 AM

Fold preflop.
I think I like raising the flop.
I definitely don't like the turn check-raise. Just bet the turn and you find out the same thing that you found out by checkraising.
If he raised the turn, I'd check/call the river.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:54 AM

Ditto folding preflop and raising flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Just bet the turn and you find out the same thing that you found out by checkraising.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a big pot like this, I think the more important reason to bet the turn is to get villain to raise our bet. This has the rest of the field facing two bets COLD, thus better protecting our hand. Am I right with this?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto folding preflop and raising flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Just bet the turn and you find out the same thing that you found out by checkraising.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a big pot like this, I think the more important reason to bet the turn is to get villain to raise our bet. This has the rest of the field facing two bets COLD, thus better protecting our hand. Am I right with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think that this is a good thing to think about. Even though most of the hands he will raise us with have us beaten, his raise will force a gutshot to fold and that's good for us, and if it should come back 3-bet to us because sb has a big hand, we can easily fold.