Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2003, 10:55 AM

Default call down the teacher?

Online 2-4. I've only seen a couple of orbits, but early read is a nice loose-passive texture. One guy, two to my right, is a classic teacher. He's aggressive, and loves to berate players for poor play and call them "fishcakes." He did this three times in the first orbit, so I muted him.

Anyway, I'm UTG+2 and see 66. I open-limp, comfortable that 5-6 players will see this flop. 3 more limpers, both blinds come along, including the teacher, who is the BB.

Six see this flop:
853 rainbow. Teacher bets (I'm sure he would go for the CR with top pair), I raise. One limper cold-calls, teacher calls.

Turn:
[2] 853 complete rainbow. Checked to me, I bet. Limper folds, teacher CR's. Now what?

My thoughts:
1. The teacher may have me crushed, but there's a good chance he's trying to ram me off of my hand now that it's HU.
2. If I call here, I'm definitely committing to one more on the river.
3. Re-raising seems kinda silly, since he's only going to stick around if I'm behind.
4. Even if I am behind, I could river him with a 4 or possibly a 6.

Anyway, I call.

River is a king, and he bets the final board of K2358. I call.

Results to follow. Comments welcome.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:11 AM

Default Re: call down the teacher?

I am fairly certain that you are behind when checkraised on the turn. However, you have odds to call for a 4 a 6, so call and fold on the river unless you get one of these cards, in which case, raise the river.

-- Homer
Old 02-03-2003, 11:34 AM

You played it well.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:27 PM

"I am fairly certain that you are behind when checkraised on the turn."

-I agree, but from his perspective, this would be a great bluffing or semi-bluffing opportunity. Given my action to that point (limp from EP, flop raise), what can he put me on? The range of hands would be dominated by stuff like 87s, 98s, A8s, or small pocket pairs... All hands that might give huge respect to a turn CR. Since I can't put him on anything specific out of the BB, he has a huge advantage in information.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:16 PM

I think you let your dislike for this guy cloud your judgement. I can't imagine he had anything less than top pair with a kicker, most likely 2 pair when he checkraised you.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:30 PM

Default results and comment

"I think you let your dislike for this guy cloud your judgement. I can't imagine he had anything less than top pair with a kicker, most likely 2 pair when he checkraised you."

-You may well be right about my distaste for the guy. It turns out he had A4o (final board 2358K) for the turned 2nd-nut straight. I had put him on 2 pair or some sort of pair/gutshot draw, so naturally, I was delighted to see that I didn't "river" him with a 6.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:57 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

though its not really good for the rest of the table in general...i like playing with these idiots.

thoroughly enjoy it. why? because theyre telling everyone how they play and what their comfort zone is. along with showing their lack of knowledge with berating others bad play.

their stupidity really cracks me up. but it can be detrimental to the table...

b