Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Calm down newbies...

Lately there's been a downpour of new posters, and that's cool...whatever.

Anyway, there's been a ridiculous amount of advice from these folks that many times should have a stamp on it "What NOT to do".

I'm not questioning anyone's skills, and I'm not the MacDaddy of poker - far from it, and I'm fully aware of it. There are very few new posters that come in with a very firm grasp of the game. I can only think of about 3 that I've seen come in new over the last 8 months that I've been here where it's obvious they play very well, and sometimes I think it's an old poster with a new account for whatever reason. Outside of that, most people are seriously delusional in regards to their poker skills…they’ve not even learned enough to get to the point that they realize how bad they actually suck.

I’m not an elitist, and I try my best to be a nice guy, but please, if you’re new here and fairly new to the game, try not to post so much advice in a hand. It just causes clutter and confusion. Spend your time constructively questioning advice given and trying to glean as much as possible from the better posters. Or, if you’re inclined to comment on how you would play a hand, say something like “In this situation I’ve been doing…..because (give your reasoning)”. There’s a different tone to the answer and you expose your reasoning so that it can either be confirmed or corrected. You can say “raise”, and that’s the best answer, but you could be doing it for the wrong reason and no one learns anything.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Calm down newbies...

AMEN.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:03 PM

Another great Q-Tip post!
Old 06-29-2005, 04:08 PM

Good post. Too many of us noobs believe we're sthief, clarkmeister and adamstewart (holla) after a couple of reads of SSHE.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:10 PM

It is extremely helpful for ALL posters to reply to a post and say what they would do and WHY they would do it. Not only does this help the original poster, but it helps every other poster who plays a similar hand.

It also allows us to see if our own thinking is correct and allow to become better poker players in all situations. Sometimes, a particular action may be correct, but someone is doing it for the wrong reasons.

Posting to learn, give/receive constructive criticism, and share thoughts/ideas is good.

Posting to declare your own advice without any reasoning and not changing your own ideas is bad.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Posting to declare your own advice without any reasoning and not changing your own ideas is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
This was discussed in the "State of the Forum" thread and is another reason why the "cryptic one-liners" can be detrimental to the forum. Yes - I know I'm guilty too - I think we all are. New players seeing respected posters doing this mimic the behavior as standard "posting technique"... and blah blah blah... this is where we are today.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This was discussed in the "State of the Forum" thread and is another reason why the "cryptic one-liners" can be detrimental to the forum. Yes - I know I'm guilty too - I think we all are. New players seeing respected posters doing this mimic the behavior as standard "posting technique"... and blah blah blah... this is where we are today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enter someone proceeding to insert comment on how they "learn sooooo much" when clarkmeister types "standard".
Old 06-29-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Posting to learn, give/receive constructive criticism, and share thoughts/ideas is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

And with this comes the attitude that when someone disagrees you pull on them to explain more instead of hammering in your original statement.

And, yes, we're all guilty of these things from time to time.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 PM

A) Excellent post. Very very true.

B) [ QUOTE ]
I can only think of about 3 that I've seen come in new over the last 8 months that I've been here where it's obvious they play very well, and sometimes I think it's an old poster with a new account for whatever reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

After several discsussions with folks, we became pretty certain S. Perry = sfer.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After several discsussions with folks, we became pretty certain S. Perry = sfer.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] That's the first one that came to mind, and I've been trying to see if they're both online at any given time...haven't seen it yet.