Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Turned the wheel

5-max 600NL. Read on Villain is that he is a solid player. Other player in the hand is an idiot. Villain and Hero both have 600.

Hero is dealt A5o in BB. Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks. Pot is $18.

Flop comes K43 rainbow. SB checks, Hero bets $15, button calls, SB calls. Pot is $62.

Turn is a 2 completing rainbow. SB checks, Hero checks, Button bets $6 (does this chronically and I was banking on this).

This is where it gets interesting. SB wakes up now and raises to $25.
Hero re-raises up to $70.
Button folds.
SB re-raises up to $125.

I can't fold here holding the 2nd nut can I or has Villain essentially flipped his cards up? I was thinking that he could have a set here often enough to warrant a call although I expected the river bet to be failry substantial based on this action. Should I consider a push?

Anyways, Hero calls. River is a J. Villain leads for $125. Hero?

Results to follow.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Turned the wheel

bump
Old 06-29-2005, 02:30 PM

push then turn when he reraises you...
push the river....

I would expect to see Villian flip over 44,33 or 55 here the majority (75%?) of the time but from your tone it sounds like you ran into a bigger straight.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:42 PM

i push crying. results?
Old 06-29-2005, 02:53 PM

even if you're banking on the dinky turn bet by button, once you catch gin after semibluffing the flop not betting this turn is a crime.

*I like the flop bet, as well
Old 06-29-2005, 03:06 PM

Why do you have to cry and push? I only cry when I have no choice.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
even if you're banking on the dinky turn bet by button, once you catch gin after semibluffing the flop not betting this turn is a crime.

*I like the flop bet, as well

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Check raising the turn seems like a really bad plan that will get you $12 instead of a big portion of someone's stack most of the time. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impresion that one of the big reasons to bet draws on the flop is so you can get away with a sizable bet on the turn when you hit without it being easy to read as a made draw. (Their are certainly other reasons that pertain to overall strategy, but when I bet a draw on the flop I am always thinking I am going to extract a lot the rest of the hand when it comes in, not this will get my strong flopped hands paid off more, (or get my continuation bets looked up more [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) ).
Old 06-29-2005, 03:48 PM

I agree (especially if I have raised pre-flop) but this was a unique case where the button was really bad and bet 90% of the time he was checked to, but otherwise passive.

My plan was hoping that he bet 2/3 of the pot, the SB knowing he was an idiot would call/raise and I could go from there.

In hindsight I realize that I am showing extreme strength through the check re-raise and this is bad for growing the pot. It also makes me so suspicious because the SB is a strong player and re-re-raises me.

Anyways, I only called the river and Villain showed 56 for the nuts. I think against a non-solid player I would have pushed the river to anything that didnt pair the board other than a five.

Will fight the temptation to check that turn next time. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:40 PM

you have the best hand 80% of the time. The odds of him having the nuts now are hansomly balanced by the odds of him pulling some donkish, heat-of-battle play or just having a set. I push the turn and/or the river, and walk away happy.