Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Against a Steal Goes Bad

When should I have slowed down? I feel like I overplayed this.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
Old 06-29-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Against a Steal Goes Bad

Reads?

I might call down after Button raises me again on the flop, especially since now that SB is gone.

If I thought Button would overplay overcards, 3-betting isn't bad, but I'd definitely call down after I get capped.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:50 AM

Leading the turn is overzealous. Sometimes people really do happen to pick up a hand on the button.

The flop 3-bet is debatable too, but it's not terrible. Alternative lines to consider would be calling down, or maybe calling the flop raise with the intention of check-raising a safe turn card.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:09 PM

I would've played it the same....I think it was prudent to slow down the turn. If you had good reads on the button, you maybe could've slown down earlier.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:34 PM

After his flop cap, what sort of hands do you put him on? His flop raise says to me: Overpair, any 9, any 7, or just maybe a couple of big overcards. His flop cap says he's got a big 9, or something better, and you aren't beating anything better than a big 9. As such, I'd have check/called the turn and river.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:44 PM

the only change i have is the turn bet. check/call down. he could be overzealous with his A9s or in fact could have 99 or A7s.

but i think 3-betting is better since villain didn't cap preflop- you save 1BB by 3-betting/calling the flop than bet/calling the flop and bet/calling the turn.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:09 PM

i would check/call the turn but i'd either c/r the river or bet/call the river, trying to get that extra bet in. button didnt cap pf...so i want to rule out AA,KK,QQ,JJ and that most likely gives us the larget PP. I think it's more likely we're against A9 here. With 3 7's out there, i have trouble giving him credit for the last 7, even thought he has been so aggressive. Those calling him down, why? If you think he has a 7-fold. If you think he has anything else, basically, we're ahead on the river and why not get in an extra bet?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:55 PM

No reads? I don't really mind the flop three-bet, as button could have top pair, but after the cap I would just check/call the turn and the river. I suppose button could be doing this w/ A9s, but some people don't cap JJ or sometimes QQ preflop. Unless I had a read that he was a tight player I would call down, as long as no overcards fell on the turn and the river.

edit: I'm calling down because I don't have a narrow enough range of hands on this unknown. Preflop could be 99 or A9. As I said I've seen some that don't cap JJ or even QQ every time against a raise, that's not common enough to just get me to fold an overpair, but it's a reason to slow down. Also, if this is an unknown, I'm calling partly for information; I want to see what he plays like this.