Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2003, 05:35 AM

Default Hand to Talk About

Here's a hand I played this afternoon in a $30-$60 hold 'em game at The Bellagio.

I was in the big blind and held A[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. Five people limped in and I said run them.

The flop was A[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. The small blind checked, I bet, the player on my left, a winning regular called, a player in the middle raised, the player in the small blind called the two bets cold, I called, the winning regular on my left made it three bets, and we all called.

Fourth street was a 10:[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]. The small blind checked, I bet, the winning regular only called, the player in the middle raised (and he had already raised on the flop), the player in the small blind folded, I made it three bets, the winning regular on my left called for two more bets, and the fourth street raiser only called.

The river was the 4[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. Everyone checked and my hand was good.

All coments welcome.

Mason
Old 02-02-2003, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

Flop. I would put the middle player on an Ace and the winning regular on Kh?h. He wants to build the pot but not knock anyone out. Small blind’s hand is unclear but no reason to be worried. I guess you didn’t reraise because you want to see if a hart comes on the turn?

When raised on the turn I would be a little worried by the middle player having AT, still you can’t be sure and making the wining regular pay the maximum for his flush draw makes sense.

I am not completely clear why you don’t bet the river. Middle player is going to call with an ace but might not bet with one, as he is worried about his kicker. Maybe he is the sort who habitually bets into weakness on the river, but dozed off for moment.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:28 AM

I think I understand every street BUT the river.

Would anyone be kind enough to elaborate on the river play?

I don't play 30-60, but in the games I play, I would bet the river and expect to be paid off by lesser hands (all but the busted flush draw, & even sometimes then :-)

Sometimes I'm beat in this spot but most times not (I would think).

In your game I'm assuming the winning
regular had KhQh & the MP flop-raiser had AJ (these reads could be way off, but that's what I put them on).

Of course if I'm in your shoes on the river, I would either put him (MP flop-raiser)) on AJ or a set of deuces.

Am I way off on these reads?

Interesting hand.

Thanks

H.B.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:31 AM

Not sure why you didn't bet the river. There's little chance a busted flush draw tries to bluff at that huge pot and a small 2 pair will probably be glad to check it after you 3 bet the turn. I think if the 4th street raiser didn't cap it your hand is good. The only hand he could have and play it that way would be A-10.

Otherwise, I love the way you played the hand on the flop so you could pressure the hell out of the draws on the turn. Great really.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:31 AM

"Five people limped in and I said run them"

I only count four people in this hand including yourself.

SB
BB-Mason
Player on left of you- winning regular
Middle Player-

ahh....not 5, but 4 people took this flop......and
only (2) limped in...
"Five people limped in and I said run them"

Restate your post with better clairty.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:37 AM

"When raised on the turn I would be a little worried by the middle player having AT"

If the middle player in this "30-60" game had any idea how to play....I would tend to think that if he was going to play this hand......an Ace and Ten, he would have raised an early limper...to try and isolate him. This holding is very unlikely.
Old 02-02-2003, 06:39 AM

When he said five limped in, I thought that meant 7 players saw the flop. Five limpers plus the blinds. Then two players folded on the flop.

That's the way I read it. But then I could be wrong.

Best of Luck

H.B.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:00 AM

You check on the river - so let's say the good player bets and the dude in MP raises? What do you do then? Three bet? Call? There's 18 big bets in the pot so a major move at you is not out of the question.

I just think it's easier for you to bet out here and call a raise if it comes to that. Plus you've shown too much strength -- it would be very hard to raise you if you value bet here.
Best of luck. Billy

Old 02-02-2003, 07:10 AM

I read it as six players in total.

By the way Howard, I like your general read of the hands.

Almost certainly MP has Ax and I'd lean towards AJ as well, but quite possibly A2. I put the good player on big hearts too but it's difficult to say whether it's KQ or QJ. For what it's worth, with Mason in the big blind I would have open raised with both holdings.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Hand ..hey mason..perry mason....

[img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] even lost one or two, didn't he....lol..gl [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]