Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Big PP; overcard on flop; What\'s best play?

4-8 B&M (Cap is 5 bets)

Villain is moderately aggressive and a bit loose both pre- and post-flop.

Hero is CO, has pocket Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG limps; <font color="red">UTG+1 bets </font> ; fold; MP-1 calls; 2 folds; Hero <font color="red">3 bets </font> ; button and SB fold; BB calls; UTG folds; <font color="red">UTG+1 4bets </font> ; MP-1 folds; Hero calls; BB calls.

Flop: (3 players, 17.5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks; <font color="red">MP-1 bets; Hero 2bets </font>; BB folds; <font color="red">MP-1 3bets; </font> <font color="blue">Hero </font> calls

Turn: (11.75 BB)(2 players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bet </font> ; <font color="blue">Hero...? </font>

The hand is not hugely exciting, I guess, but this is something I struggle with, and I haven't really found a good answer. I assume the play is to fold to his bet on the turn? Or do I better go to call; c/c? And how is the decision best made?

Is the play on any street different if the aggression comes from behind me rather than infront? Or if BB doesn't fold?
Did I play the flop OK?

I'd like to come out of this exchange with some solid ideas on how to best deal with this situation. It seems to me that I'm always dangling between not wanting to be pushed off my hand, but also not wanting to spew when I'm likely beaten. I'm trying to build stronger post-flop play, and this comes up so often I need a better plan than what I now have.

Thanks for any help!

bill c
Old 06-28-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Big PP; overcard on flop; What\'s best play?

I think the post is missing what card hit on the turn... Judging by your tone i'm going to assume it is a blank.

I think this hand was played perfectly and can be folded on the turn.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is moderately aggressive and a bit loose both pre- and post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, you've got to give him credit for AA, KK, AK. One of the three. Key words are moderately and a bit. I fold the turn bet.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:07 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

what is his image of you? tight/loose/passive/aggressive? this is so read-dependent for me, i could call down, but damn, this is tough. i would probably call down expecting to lose, but it is a LAG right?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:17 PM

Why did you raise the flop?

-SmileyEH
Old 06-28-2005, 05:44 PM

I actually like the flop raise. Good way of checking the strength of your opponent's hand...especially in a case like this where your PP is dominated.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly... I'd be leaning towards a fold there with all the aggression shown preflop

Blackjack
Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

I actually like the flop raise. Good way of checking the strength of your opponent's hand...especially in a case like this where your PP is dominated.
-(MichiganLaw)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Smiley,

My raise is because I don't know what, in the range of top hands, he might have. He could have QQ, AQ, or JJ for example, and of course he could have quite a few hands with a king.
Even when he raised me back on the flop, I wasn't sure, and I thought then of folding, and decided that I'd put in one more SB but if he bet out on the turn I was gone, which is what happened. I suppose I wanted to say, "I've got a hellofa hand here, can you beat it?"

Do you feel like I should have folded to his bet on the flop? Or called the flop bet and then folded on the turn? Or gone C/C to the river?

But this is just exactly why I sent this hand in. I ask myself these questions every time this kind of hand comes up, and have not felt like I had a solid approach. What do you think I should have done, Smiley?

And what if I had NO read at all on villain?

Thanks again!

bill c [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what is his image of you? tight/loose/passive/aggressive? this is so read-dependent for me, i could call down, but damn, this is tough. i would probably call down expecting to lose, but it is a LAG right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he's a LAG, but not hugely so, and of course I may not have a perfect read on him, as we've only played together a short time.

I felt like I had seen plenty of aggression, but so had he, and if he had any question, he might check the turn. Of course that might have been just to set up a C/R, so I would have checked through and then called one on the river if he went that way.

(I really like your avatar. Ward is one of my favorite players. He gives 100% all the time! And as I understand it, he's a very decent guy, too.)

bill c
Old 06-28-2005, 06:36 PM

If this were HU, I would probably call all the way down. Since it's 3way, you have less equity. I'd be tempted to fold - since you can look left and see what the 3rd man is doing you have a little advantage there. I think it's close between folding on the flop and calling the whole way barring the other player wakes up. Raising in this hand causes villian to 3bet a better hand forcing you to fold, or just shutting him down. If he is an insane lag then raising is good because you can isolate him, but if he is much more likely to have a better hand or be able to fold a worse one, calling or folding are better options.

Hope this helps.

-SmileyEH