Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Too weak in BB?

5-max 600 NL. Within first couple of orbits, no read on SB. Stacks are all above $400. Hero has A7o and posts $6 in BB. Folded to small blind. SB raise to $15 total. Hero folds.

Obviously this decision is very read dependent but I find very often I don't have a read because of new players coming and going. Is this too weak since I am in position or should I just throw this junk into the muck?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Too weak in BB?

I gather this is not interesting since I didn't have AA or flop a set but I am really intersted in some opinions. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:04 PM

I would fold this once and see how often the SB tries it. Sometimes I even call down to the river (given I flop a piece and its cheap enough) just to show the SB he/she can't bully me around all day.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:04 PM

With no read, I think a fold is fine.

The only time I would ever play this hand would be if I had a good read on my player.

If I thought he would let me occationally get a free showdown, I would call. This is doubly true if he plays very straightforward after the flop, so I can outplay him.

If I thought he was very likely to fold to a re-raise, and has been attacking my blinds, I would re-raise.

If I thought he was a tricky player, I would just let it go.

Folding crap aces can't be too detrimental to your game.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the opinions.

My biggest concern is that the SB quickly learns that he can risk $12 to win $9 and in 5-max and 4-max (all I play lately) you post so frequently. I would also guess that A7o heads-up is in the top 20% of hands. Do you think setting the tone early with a re-raise is worth the extra $25-$30 you might be throwing away if he does have a real hand?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:20 PM

A re-raise here, assuming a fold PF, will win you a few rounds of blinds, and will probably stop him from stealing much in the future.

The problem, of course, is that if he does call, you are basically forced to bet the flop if he checks it, which could also be rather expensive.

However, I feel that the money earned from metagame considerations should make up for this, even if you are busted on it. It shows that your re-raise shouldn't be feared as much, then you just re-raise with premium hands for a while.

I feel that a LAG image is the most profitable for these games.

Also, I would rather play a small SC like this than A7, due to the likelyhood of being dominated if called.

I think that the calling line against a passive/non-creative player is really the only way I would really want to play this hand.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:43 PM

I probably call sometimes and bet the flop if he checks. I find that a lot of players will fold to a flop bet in blind battles.