Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Autobet after PFR

quick question.. when I enter a hand, normally, I am much much more comfortable entering a hand raising (I dont like limping, hardly ever do it). what I have started worrying about is this flop autobet. I noticed the pattern that whenever I raise PF, I will normally follow up with a flop bet. in what sort of situations would be a proper idea to just check it?

heres an example I conjured up...

I am on the Button with AQs

UTG limps, I raise, everyone else folds, UTG calls.

pot = 7sb
flop = K,rag,rag rainbow.

I normally would follow this up with a bet if its checked to me.. just to see where I am at, I enjoy the concept of betting to see where I am at. is this a worng move?

what about these flops? (considering same hand and PF action)

pot = 7sb
flop = Kd, Jh, 2d .. bet? I woudl think so, moreso protecting your hand against the flush.. but against a PF raise.. the K and the J are very possible that UTG hit, considering you hold the other two overcards lowering chances.

how about

pot = 7sbs
flop = K, J, 2 all rainbow. there is no flush but still the same overcards problem.

you dont have any reads on the player.. but how woudl you play against...

LAG
TAG
Loose-Passive
Tight-Passive
Tight-weak

it kinds feels like I play the same when it comes to my flop bet against all styles.. what woudl you all suggest, I hope there is enough detail to warrant some quality answers.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Autobet after PFR

i'd probably bet all of them. the only one i could have grounds to check through would be the first one, but it is HU, so i'd take a shot.

all of them you have position, it is checked to you, and you have outs to improve- the last 2 being stronger as you have 4 outs for a straight, if he has a J, you have ~6 (maybe discount the Aces for reverse domination).

TAGs usually are easy as they will c/r you and you will know where you stand.

LAGs, well they typically wouldn't a)limp UTG or b)check to you on the flop.

Weak-tights/passives usually fold the flop with nothing and call with something and never bluff, so you can get an easy free card on the turn and fold the river if bet into.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:40 PM

I'm not sure I understand - these are all heads up situations where UTG limps it's folded to you and you raise and utg calls? Then he checks to you on the flop? I will bet any 2 cards regardless of player type given that situation.

When there are more players in the hand I will be more inclined to check with just overs and no draws. And when one of my cards is lower than one of the cards on the board I may even check/fold depending on the action and players and the board.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:50 PM

i think the pot size is 5.5 sb
Old 06-29-2005, 01:22 AM

Asim,
I have the same 'problem' and I think it might be a major leak in my game. Like you my preference is usually to raise rather than simply call. This may not be a bad thing though as perhaps it means we are only playing premium hands.
However, after the flop, when it might miss me, I will bet, bet, reraise, etc. doing all kinds of stupid crap that just costs me $$. I have a hard time just checking the flop, especially when I'm in late position.
I do agree with you to bet in example 2 to protect your hand from the flush. Note also, you'd want to do the same thing with a straight draw on the board.
When you figure to just check, and fold if need be, I think you'll become a better poker player, or at least better than me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 08:45 AM

hehe, I am slowly figuring this stuff out, this is all my thinking and I have yet to read SSH... I know i ahve to get it, but I am just too goddamn lazy lol.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these are all heads up situations where UTG limps it's folded to you and you raise and utg calls? Then he checks to you on the flop? I will bet any 2 cards regardless of player type given that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but this is pretty straightforward. With more people in the hand it gets a lot stickier and this is an area I know I need to improve on.