Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2003, 10:44 PM

Default Thoughts from a green green newbie

I am so glad I found this thread. I was led here by a post on a stock trading forum very similar to this called "elitetrader.com". (for any of you who are active in the stock market)

I have been very busy surfing the net for poker information, and my head is about to explode... [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I have finally managed to get funds into Neteller. After several rejections of various types of credit and debit cards, I simply went over to the Bank of America and made a cash deposit directly into their account. After faxing them the deposit information, I had money..!!

I have downloaded the software for 4 poker rooms and played for some play money. Good experience for getting to know the "feel" of the room, but I suspect the play is not very representative. I also did some lurking on the real money tables. Very interesting the totally different style of play with real bucks on the line.

I didn't put much money into Neteller initially, so I will have to choose one, perhaps 2 card rooms to start in.

I have looked at:

Paradise, of course, PartyPoker, Pokerroom, and PokerStars.

Paradise was exactly as described, very straightforward, perhaps even a bit bland.

I downloaded the Pokerroom software and ran it as an application from my computer. I liked the 3-D effect, and the figurines were ... interesting. I always tried to be the gal with the big bosum. Memo to Pokerroom from a first time visiting critic... fix your software login problem, and make the figurines gender specific to the user who sits down (like Party). If the player doesn't specify gender on signup, put in a manniken of Michael Jackson.

Pokerroom seemed to have a more limited game selection, no pot limit or no limit games.

I liked Partypoker and it will probably be at least one of my choices. I have a graphics problem though, the bottom line of the scrolling chat window gets cut off, I can only see half of the text. If someone knows how to cure this, I would appreciate a fix. I emailed support, so far, no answer.

PokerStars has a great game selection, but I HATE the paste in pictures at the tables. Maybe one gets used to it after a while, but I feel it is a distraction. That is just being TOO cute, IMHO. Absent that feature, PokerStars would be one of my primary choices.

So... I am getting ready to foray into the realm of online poker for real. I think my game will be the .25/.50 pot limit games. I shouldn't lose too much if I go on tilt, and I like the idea you can make the flush and straight chasers really pay up to stay with you on a solid hand. (my theory anyway).... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I will be playing under the moniker of "tuff_fish". I hope that when the sharks close in, they will find me somewhat indigestible.

If you see me around.. say hi.

Again, I will say that forums like this are invaluable to newbies. (and experienced folks as well)

Old 01-30-2003, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Thoughts from a green green newbie

It seems like you have a good start already. I will advise that you stop playing the play money games NOW. They will only make you worse and resemble nothing like real poker. Play the micro-limit instead.

Good luck

Bubs
Old 01-30-2003, 11:35 PM

Welcome! Always glad to see a new poster. I would rethink playing pot-limit. Pot-limit is the game where the newbie has the biggest disadvantage against a good player. It is also a place where tilt will affect you more than in limit. You can lose your bankroll in one hand no matter how much you have. At least in limit, you'd have to do it over several hands.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:42 PM

Point well taken.

Old 01-31-2003, 12:25 AM

Hi Tony, welcome to the 2+2 board.

You can turn the pictures off on Poker Stars, in the Options menu in the lobby - simply uncheck the option Images. If you then exit and reload the client, the pictures will all be blank circles I believe.

I didn't like them at first either, but you do get used to them.

Good luck at the tables and let us know how you get on [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Simon
Old 01-31-2003, 12:42 PM

Good luck to you. I would start out playing at Party. They have good, frequent bonuses, soft games, and they are safe (when you cashout you can rest assured that you will get your money).

-- Homer
Old 01-31-2003, 04:19 PM

Well...... I did OK with the sharks, but the minnows feasted. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Signed on with "Thepokerclub" for thier matching $50 bonus. OK, got my $50 + their $50 and got with it.

Played all morning on their $50, but couldn't get ahead.

Caught some pocket cards, but simply could not shake off the draw to a straight crowd. Several times I had good pocket hands that improved (such as AA that got a second helping pair, AK that paired up etc.) But however aggressively I bet them out of the gate, there were 2 or 3 that stayed right with me and drew out on the river.

It wasn't exactly "no foldem holdem", but close enough.

The hand that sent me home for a while was my pocket A 10 which I came out betting as hard as I could. I was on the little blind and raised it. Got plenty of calls.

The Flop was 8 10 J

OK, possible straight here, but if I catch an ace, I am fat, so I probably was over aggressive and I bet out.

Lost a couple, but 3 stayed with me..... calling.

Went to the river with me betting for all I am worth. (literally) After the river card, I get a reraise from one player. I call, one folds, and the other calls too.

Showdown... I got ace high nothin...
These two have both got ..... 9 Q in the pocket.. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

They both had finished straights from the flop.. and they were calling me.. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I guess they figured I was doing enough betting for all of us... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

But the real story is that they both stayed thru a preflop raise with 9 Q in the pocket.

But most of the time, my significant lost hands were more finished that that, and I was betting the heck out of them, and I was getting beat by the straights at the river.

I do need to learn to recognise the possible straights on the board. I could have saved myself a little bit by recognizing sooner that some bozo had just hit his card.

Now it is time to install my Wilson Turbo Holdem and study up on hands.

The next $50 is MINE, so I need to do better.

BTW, thanks for the advice to start with the limit game. Even though I got drawn out on, I got a lot of hands in for my (their) $50.

PS.. forgot to add that I am one of the high rollers, I was playing the .25/.50 limit game.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:47 PM

I emailed (Party) support, so far, no answer

Deja vu?

I HATE the paste in pictures at the (Stars) tables.

If you right-click on the picture you can block them individually. Then you can leave calming pictures of birds and flowers, as you choose.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2003, 06:33 PM

"The hand that sent me home for a while was my pocket A 10 which I came out betting as hard as I could. I was on the little blind and raised it. Got plenty of calls.

The Flop was 8 10 J

OK, possible straight here, but if I catch an ace, I am fat, so I probably was over aggressive and I bet out."

I'm not going to be nice, for that I'm sorry, but you should mark your poker stories with a warning. Some of us have weak stomaches.

1. Please add info needed for the reader, like the number and position of callers pre-flop, so we may make an informed decision about how the hand was played.

2. No one here would raise pre-flop in your spot.

3. Even though you hit one of your premium flops, I wouldn't bet out on the flop.[sarcasm off]

4. Read a book about low-limit hold'em if you wish to play better and get more out of these forums.

You had a 100 BB loss, which is never only about bad luck and chasers beating you. I'm trying to point you in the direction to winning online. Learn a solid ring game and stay away from short games for now.

Good luck.

MS Sunshine
Old 01-31-2003, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Ms. I think you\'re wrong about one thing

I'm not going to be nice, for that I'm sorry,

I think you did the nicest thing possible for Tony. Sugar coating bad play would have been the mean thing.

BTW Tony, welcome to the 2+2 zoo. Most of what you'll get from this forum will be positive and productive, some you might just be entertained by. I suggest reading the general theory forum regularly as well. There is a lot of information to be gained from there as well.

Good Luck in the games

HC

"Beware the biggest fish, they often have the biggest bite"